Is salinity of 1.020 ok for snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a dwarf seahorse tank and am getting a few more next week. I have a qt tank I'll be putting the new arrivals into where I've got the salinity at 1.020 which is the recommended salinity for dwarfs.

I'd like to put a couple of my snails in this tank to munch on the algae that's growing in the tank but am concerned about the salinity. Is 1.020 too low for snails?

Carolyn

It would probably be best to bring the qt tank up to the same SG as the tank the new dwarfs will be going to as to pose less stressfull lateron.

Try this trick. Put the snails on the glass above the water line and let them crawl down into the water. They will self acclimate. They can live in 1.02 but need to be slowly acclimated to that SG.

I actually like the self acclimate idea, but have not had much luck making snails stick where I want them LOL! I will be bringing the salinity to both tanks to about 1.02, the main tank has to come down and the qt up. This is what is recommended for dwarf seahorses who are the main inhabitants of the tank.

Are any snails more sensitive to salinity than others?

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom