Is there a good way to start algea to form in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skuseman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know it is a strange request but i want to add a couple cleaners to the tank. Snails and crabs.. and I know that you need algea in the tank for these creatures to survive. My tank is no where near a window and it is crystal clear. Not to good of situation for a snail =). This tank only has a humbug damsel and a tomato clown. I run a hob filter a power head and CC. In the next few months i hope to be adding live rock,live sand,a protien skimmer and a sump pump system to hide all the equipment under the tank. To hide all those nasty wired =). I hope to eventually get more advanced in the hobby. I'm going to take it slow with fish only for now. Thanks for any advice you all are willing to share.

Its just a matter of time. Sounds like you are taking things nice and slow so why not just wait it out for the algae also. Other parts of the cleanup crew are not so dependent on algae so why not just add them. Some hermits maybe. They will eat whatever the fish don't and do just fine. Coral shrimp are probably the coolest cleaners there is but are usually incompatible with other shrimp. They can also be bought in bonded pairs.

I just added one to my new tank along with a few damsels. After not having a tank for years I was pleasantly surprised by the price. Just 12 bucks. If memory serves I think these guys use to run up to wards fifty bucks. :!: At least some things change for the good as time goes by.

Hey thanks for that advice. A hermit crab. Does that kind of crab require new shells cause they outgrow theres or is that a different species? Thanks again

Hello skuseman, I advise that you first figure out over time what type of population you want in your FOWLR. Also, I highly suggest that you deviate from damsels because they become a nuisance, too aggressive and too territorial.

You will end up limiting your choices when you start with crustaceans first. They need security, they aren't fond of triggers, puffers, boxfish et al because crustaceans are the favorites of those types of fish.

Snails are fun to watch, especially when you have nothing but moonlight on. However, FOWLRs will always end up with at least one incident of ich. If that happens, you will try to lower your salinity, killing any crustaceans in your tank along with killing the parasites.

Algae may get out of control and that wouldn't be a pretty site as well.

Just cycle your tank well enough for at least a month, then start going through the LFS to browse on the different species of fish. Once you figure out what you want, purchase them. Then decide whether your crustaceans and snails will be good for your tank. HTH

In terms of your live sand by the way, maybe just buy aragonite since you're already putting live rock in it. The LR will seed your aragonite with live stuff. Don't mess with playsand since your tank is established already anyways.

Actually, it might be a bit bad for your tomato clown if you add the sand now. there are impurities in aragonite and live sand that may affect the health of your tomato clown. You should've placed the live sand during cycling.

Thank you guys for your input. It is much appreciated.Being this is my first attempt in the marine side of the hobby I'm going to take it very slowly. The ich is just about cleared all on its own. ANd I'm getting a build up of brown algae now. Is the brown good or bad? I know in fw green is what i get. thats enough for now thanks again :lol:

From what I know, brown algae may not be good. But people can always correct me on that.

In terms of the ich for SW, it's a bit different. They have different stages actually. For FW ich, I just crank the temp up to around 88 - 90F for 2-3 days with monitoring. For SW, with the white spots not visible anymore doesn't mean they're gone. They probably dropped on the substrate and will find a host soon. Some say hyposalinity (lowering of salinity to almost fresh water for a few days) works in wiping out the parasites. That's what I did, with success, but with dead crustaceans and inverts.

But that's a side track of your topic. Sorry.

Take it slow, that's right. Welcome to the hobby by the way. It's really fun, it's rewarding, and the SW fish is very colorful and diverse.

Back
Top Bottom