Is there a reason...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my metal halide lights don't turn on until I've flipped the switch 5-10 times? This simply won't work with a timer.

It's a 250w ballast and bulb - brand new, here:

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_inf...id=83&osCsid=08d3f6e9bc2f3484307880d4061f758f

Is it a matter of working the bulb in? Is the ballast just not strong enough? I now noticed that an Icecap ballast is an extra $15 - would that help? Is it a better ballast? What if I used a 175w bulb instead?

If you use a 175W buld it won't light at all....or it will explode.

Sometimes they will work with a timer when they won't start with the switch, if it were me I would take it up with the vendor and look for a replacement.

When you turn on the switch do you leave it on for a few minutes? They don't flip on instantly like incandescent bulbs.

I turn it on and most the time it flickers and goes off after 5-6 seconds, once in a while it actually lights. If it doesn't light within the first 2 seconds, it doesn't seem to do anything after that. How much time would it generally take?

Back
Top Bottom