Is there such thing as too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fireworks

Aquarium Advice Activist
My question is in regards to water flow in a reef tank. Can you have too much? This is my first saltwater tank and I think I may have over done it when it comes to moving water.
Here is a list of the gear:
150gal aquarium- 48" long, 24" wide, 30" tall.
Ehiem pro 2228 canister- 277gph.
Turbofloater multi sl skimmer.
Two Aquaclear 802 powerheads- 400gph each
Two Maxijet 1200 powerheads- 295gph each.
60lbs live rock
60lbs mixed base rock
80lbs crushed coral substrate
The Ehiem spraybar is at the top left side of the tank, blowing down at 45 degrees. The two 802"s are at the top corners blowing towards the center front glass, and the two 1200"s are at the bottom corners blowing forward and slightly upwards.

The reason I ask is last night my new sebae anemone was doing cartwheels all over the tank. Thanks for any help and sorry I am so long winded.

Actually it sounds like your right on target. The general rule of thumb is that a reef tank shoud be turned over a minimum of 10x per hour. Sps tanks can be turned as much as 20-25 time an hour. Softies and LPS, in general, dont like the stronger current, so you want the power heads to point in a direction that will not directly impact them. I have several of mine that point across the back glass or push under a nearby overhang.

It may be a simple problem with the placement of the power head. :wink:

One thing about flow is that, instead of laminar flow, you want turbulence. If you can aim powerheads so that thier flow collides and creates swirls, eddys, ect..., your corals will do better. You want to try to recreate the wave action from thier natural habitat. Most corals, with a few exceptions, will not do well under direct current.

Back
Top Bottom