Is this anemone dangerous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a pink tipped haitian anemone last week. I put it in and it keeps moving around. 2 of my fishes (beaty coral angle and fire gobi) died a few day after that. Im just wondering if the anemone did this. Is it dangerous toward my fishes and corals? ty

Test the tank for water quality thoroughly...temperature, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, SG, calcium and alkalinity to start with. If you suppliment iodine, strontium or iron, test those levels too. A wandering anemone is not a happy one. It is normal for anemones to wander a bit after introduction, but there does come a point where it can indicate something with water quality (sometimes lighting) is making it unhappy.

Hard to say if the fish you lost was due to the anemone's stress, coming into contact with it's tentacles, or perhaps died of something else that maybe the anemone is showing a disliking to as well. Haitians are a bit more aggressive than other commonly kept anemones. They are more quick to sting. An anemone on the defense will have it's tentacles stiff and stout instead of relaxed and flowy. At least if it foots, it's aggressions are limited to how far its tentacles can reach, but one on the move can bump into things.

HTH.

I had a pink tip. It killed and ate several of my fish before I returned it to the LFS. JMO - beautiful, but potentially harmful.

JG

Back
Top Bottom