Is this anemone doing well and what kind is it exactly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here are some pics of an anemone. I know it's a sebae. Not sure if it's malu or crispa.

Also, is it normal for it to go into a cave like this at first? I've tried offering it food but it doesn't eat it. (small pieces of brine shrimp). It doesn't close up/react to it. The shrimp come and pick it away.

2cco110.jpg

4hrmlww.jpg

30vkmya.jpg

Looks like a Sebea, but not sure which kind specifically though. Its hard to tell how its doing just from a couple pics. It looks like it is in a fairly dark area of the tank. Is this the case?? If so and its staying there it might not be ok. Also, just from looking at your info, you definately don't have enough light for an anemone. Or pretty much anything that needs light to survive.

It actually started on a ledge. When the PH turned on, it blew off onto the floor. From the floor it attached and over the past 2-3 days it moved into the cave. It hasn't been in the tank for a week yet. I was thinking the lighting is too much for it after not being in bright light for awhile.

I have 729w of lighting, 2x250mh and t5s. I need to update my info. Doing that now.

ooh ok. if its new to the tank it might just be adjusting. I have heard that sebaes are one of the hardest anemones to keep alive long term. Looks like you have all the right conditions though. Good luck

Also, i'm just curious. I c u have a Coralife SS 220. How does it work for u? Do u like it? I have one on my 120g and its great. Just wanted to get some other reactions on it.

Looks to be H. crispa to me. And bleached. Make sure you offer it food a few times a week to help get it's zooxanthellea back. H. crispa is one of the toughest anemones to keep alive because, like yours, they are usually stressed and bleached out. It could be adjusting to your lighting, and will move again in a few days. For now though, I'd probably leave it alone to do it's own thing.

Devilishturtles said:
Looks to be H. crispa to me. And bleached. Make sure you offer it food a few times a week to help get it's zooxanthellea back. H. crispa is one of the toughest anemones to keep alive because, like yours, they are usually stressed and bleached out. It could be adjusting to your lighting, and will move again in a few days. For now though, I'd probably leave it alone to do it's own thing.

Yep, I've been trying to leave it alone and just let it do its own thing.

I've tried feeding it but it doesn't seem to accept/react to food. I've tried small pieces of shrimp and brine shrimp. Will it maybe just not eat for the first few days?

My tank is showing 0 trate/trite/ammonia, so things are good. I have a small algae bloom problem but other than that all corals are doing great and coraline is starting to form on base rock!!

As for the CSS220 - it's been working great. It pulls out a ton of stuff! I'll probably be upgrading soon to a larger tank and skimmer and then I'll be able to do a fair comparison but I honestly have no problems with it at all!

Anenome`s will try to put their foot in a cave or hole so they can shade the foot. Alot of people think that they are trying to crawl in the cave when they are only trying to shade their foot. Hope all goes well.

melosu58 said:
Anenome`s will try to put their foot in a cave or hole so they can shade the foot. Alot of people think that they are trying to crawl in the cave when they are only trying to shade their foot. Hope all goes well.

Thanks - I never thought of that possibility :)

Well today I added some phytoplankton and the anemone reacted to it a bit (don't know why) - so I decided to try and give it some brine shrimp. It either took it or got annoyed by the turket baster and closed up. The arms seem to be getting a little bit browner at the bases. Hopefully he will color up and survive!

On a side note - I got tons of little patches of coraline popping up all over my base rock! yay! :D

GuOD said:
The arms seem to be getting a little bit browner at the bases. Hopefully he will color up and survive!

Browner is better. It is the zooxanthellea coming back.

I agree with Melosu! Coloring is a good sign. I have a huge LTA that was nearly white wth neon green tips with I got it and now it is a nice creamy pinkish brown color with vibrant neon green tips. The right conditions mean everythng!!

GuOD said:
I decided to try and give it some brine shrimp. It either took it or got annoyed by the turket baster and closed up.
I've had a Sebae for a little over three years now and IME they are not big fans of target feedings. A small piece of krill etc. every couple of weeks is plenty. If it is not readily taking food, I would let it be. Give it time to acclimate. The energy used for digestion would be better used to adjust to your tank/lighting at this point. Having the proper lighting, which you do, and good, stabile water chemistry are the most important things. Also, it sounds like you have a newer tank. I should mention anemones are not recommended to be added to tanks under 6-8 months old, ideally a year or more is best. This will allow the tank to mature, and provide more stable water quality.

Here are some pictures from today...

It moved out a bit... and now some of the purple tips have BRIGHT maroon tips on them... dunno if this is good or bad

4hm056s.jpg

2h6dfgx.jpg

479f7m8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom