Is this dino's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm 8 weeks into my tank. It was a pre-existing FOWLR that was obviously neglected by the previous owner. Tank was covered in Cyano when I picked it up.

I replaced the sandbed when setting it back up. I've been through the diatom phase, which cleared up quickly and cyano showed up next. I've added a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer and am running a back of BRS GFO in my HOB powerfilter.

I've noticed bubbles on my rock and it's starting to get stringy. Here are a couple progression shots of the rock that seems to be effected the most.

Rock with cyano:

Same Rock with "dino's"

The bubbles and "snot" are clear right now. When i see pics of dino online, it seems brown.

Is it possible the cyano and evolving into dino's?

If so...what I can do to eliminate them? I hear dino's are the worst....

Looks like normal bubbles coming out of the LR to me.
Maybe someone with better eyes than mine can see more.

Cyano can have bubbles on it like that too. Usually with dinos you see really tall "snot" off the rock/sand with a bubble at the top. I don't think its dinos....atleast just looking at that pic it doesn't look like it. Dinos is usually brown too...but maybe its heading that way. I'd try to suck out what you see now, just in case.

I would also guess it to be cyano. Back when I had cyano, it had lots of bubbles. I believe dynos are somewhat rare, so I wouldnt think it to be dynos. But like suggested above, you need to suck it out now before whatever it is gets massive.

Matt

Thanks for the input everyone.

When I do lights out, it goes away, but once the lights come back on bubbles start to show up after a couple hours.

I've read that dino's do that, but does cyano do that to?

I've never noticed the snot strands get more than 1/4" long.

I usually run the lights a total of 8 hours.

I have shut off the lights and wrapped the tank in black lawn bags to prevent ambient light from getting in.

I've also read to avoid waterchanges if it's dino's, so I might wait until next weekend to change the water. I usually do 20% water change weekly.

I've keeping my fingers crossed that I'm just an overreating noob.

I hope you have an easier time killing the cyano (if it is) then I did. It's a real PIA!

I had a horrible time getting rid of my dino's.
jw_activair_trex_2_a.jpg

They always bit me.

*horribly cheesy joke, but what I think of EVERY time i see a dinos thread lol.*

Back
Top Bottom