Is this normal for my bubble tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed today that some of the tentacles on my green bubble tip are kind of shrunk and deformed. It seems healthy otherwise. Just wondering if this was normal

Attachments

• Bubble tip 2.jpg
    Bubble tip 2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 106
Mine was like that before I had clowns and I never touched her. She was on the left side of the tank for 4 yrs before I had clowns in the tank with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine was like that before I had clowns and I never touched her. She was on the left side of the tank for 4 yrs before I had clowns in the tank with her.

Deflating is a sign of sickness or stress. So its not normal.

No it's not always mine would be all bubbley one week and the other week not have any bubbles. And the first time I saw it happen I freaked out and contacted my uncle who is a marine zoologist and studies anemones and other inverts all over the world and turns out she was fine. All my parms where fine and lighting and water flow was good too. She is now 11 years old and is 12" around and lives in a 400 gallon tank she was raised in 280 gallon for 10 years. So unless she is closing up on herself he does not have to worry yet.

No it's not always mine would be all bubbley one week and the other week not have any bubbles. And the first time I saw it happen I freaked out and contacted my uncle who is a marine zoologist and studies anemones and other inverts all over the world and turns out she was fine. All my parms where fine and lighting and water flow was good too. She is now 11 years old and is 12" around and lives in a 400 gallon tank she was raised in 280 gallon for 10 years. So unless she is closing up on herself he does not have to worry yet.

Deflating and losing its bubbles are two different things.

Edit: he definitely doesn't have to worry. If the whole anemone was deflated, then its a problem. But one section is different.

Mine was fully and she still is some days or weeks. Like I said if she is acting normal and eating than I would not worry to much. Heck at one point mine looked like a LTA she just did not have bubbles. Just watch her and see if she moves or refuses to eat.

It is not due to stress or touching, bulbing also has nothing to do with stress or light as stated in another discussion on this fourm. I have raised anemonies for 6 year. Half my 125g is full of them. Somethings they bulb and sometimes they don't. None really knows why or why not, lots of theories, but no proof. The same thing as when they are stringy or fat tenicles. I have 6 RBTA and 1 large GBTA. Some of my observations over the years. First off, even thought thy touch each other in a nem forest, the clowns will only host the GBTA, which was my first. The green is usually flatter and stringier then the reds. Some days the RBTA are very bulb up and other times nothing. The green never bulbs. They rarely get fed. They were kept under 2x250 MH lighting for years, and about 18 months ago, switched to Maxspect 2x160 with no effect on them. But about 2.5 years ago my T5 HO that I had on the very back of the tank for supplemental and color went out, so I put in a power compact temporary while I order parts, the RBTA split 4 times in 3 weeks. But once I put the T5 back in, it never split again. But had no issues switching from MH to LED's. Some are high in the tank, some are low in the tank, seems to make no difference. It also appears that when one of the RBTA bulb, all the RBTA bulb. Mine have never moved in 6 years.

It is not due to stress or touching, bulbing also has nothing to do with stress or light as stated in another discussion on this fourm. I have raised anemonies for 6 year. Half my 125g is full of them. Somethings they bulb and sometimes they don't. None really knows why or why not, lots of theories, but no proof. The same thing as when they are stringy or fat tenicles. I have 6 RBTA and 1 large GBTA. Some of my observations over the years. First off, even thought thy touch each other in a nem forest, the clowns will only host the GBTA, which was my first. The green is usually flatter and stringier then the reds. Some days the RBTA are very bulb up and other times nothing. The green never bulbs. They rarely get fed. They were kept under 2x250 MH lighting for years, and about 18 months ago, switched to Maxspect 2x160 with no effect on them. But about 2.5 years ago my T5 HO that I had on the very back of the tank for supplemental and color went out, so I put in a power compact temporary while I order parts, the RBTA split 4 times in 3 weeks. But once I put the T5 back in, it never split again. But had no issues switching from MH to LED's. Some are high in the tank, some are low in the tank, seems to make no difference. It also appears that when one of the RBTA bulb, all the RBTA bulb. Mine have never moved in 6 years.

Again, there's a difference between having no bulbs, and being DEFLATED. An anemone deflates when it's stressed or pooping.

In the op's picture it is deflated. Most likely a fish nipped at it or a hermit crab hit it.

Back
Top Bottom