It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yarg said:
Has anyone found any southdown/old castle in the ft. myers area of florida.

I live in Lee county but i'd be willing to go anywhere in southwest florida to get it.

Thanks

You live in Florida!
I can't imagine it should be too much of a problem finding sand -- even pool sand -- there.
Anyway, I am just being jealous. Naples, not too far from you, is where I would now like to be.
Shivering in Toronto Jeff

Concerning play sand found at HD, I was at the local HD and saw a stack of King play sand. They say it is beach sand. In the expert's opinion, would this be good, acceptable, bad, whatever to use as substrate for my SW tank? (Being cheap here....) This thing really interests me because they sell it for less than $6.00 CDN and I think I will require at least 10 bags if not more. :twisted:

Thanks for your comments!

how much do you have to rinse it out and is it like caribsea or no? I dont mind shelling out 25$ a bag if it is better but u know 3-5$ a bag!!! u cant beat that with a baseball bat.

Don't rinse it. The sand storm will settle as the grains become coated with bacteria. Mine took about two weeks to settle when I first added it. Now it settles in minutes if I pick up a handful.

In negotiations with HD in California!

I have been in negotiations with a local HD store in Los Angeles County that is willing to ship in the golden & sought after "Old Castle Tropical Play Sand (Aragonite)" 50 lb bags with the little boy on the front!!! Shipping is going to have to be fronted by myself for the deal to go through, however, it doesn't seem like it would make a difference in price for them to ship out 50 pounds or 5000 pounds.

Southern Californians... who is willing to go in this with me and bring the prize back into our timezone?!! :D

$4.99 /bag, will hear from them on Monday 10th how much freight would be. Must be willing to pick up locally in Glendora & contribute to shipping costs from out of state. Glendora, CA 91740 (LA County, near Pasadena/Pomona/Irwindale/... short drive from Orange County/San Bernadino County)

~~Rob

Good thing Ohio has a freaking HD on every corner... i guess its good to live out in the cuts sometimes :lol:
I guess i could make a good business decision and buy a ton of it and make some aragocrete base rock as soon as the weather gets warmer. The dude at my lfs store said he would love to take a look at my finished product and if he likes it he may just sell some in his store to see how it works...

Does anyone know where i can get some old castle play sand in the St. Pete / Clearwater area of Florida? I've tried the HD and other stores in the area and none of them carry it. Would they be more likely to carry it closer to spring/summer?

You could easily have a better chance of getting it in the spring to summer. It is a seasonal product.

I just went to the HD on the corner of my street and they had -3 on stock... but they did a search for the nearest HD that had some in stock and to my luck this other HD about 20min away had 7 left. Only thing is that i thought you guys said it was like 3$ but when i got up to the cashier it rang up to 6.97 and i was like ahh man i didnt bring enough money :roll:

Re: In negotiations with HD in California!

RLG2182 said:
I have been in negotiations with a local HD store in Los Angeles County that is willing to ship in the golden & sought after "Old Castle Tropical Play Sand (Aragonite)" 50 lb bags with the little boy on the front!!! Shipping is going to have to be fronted by myself for the deal to go through, however, it doesn't seem like it would make a difference in price for them to ship out 50 pounds or 5000 pounds.

Southern Californians... who is willing to go in this with me and bring the prize back into our timezone?!! :D

$4.99 /bag, will hear from them on Monday 10th how much freight would be. Must be willing to pick up locally in Glendora & contribute to shipping costs from out of state. Glendora, CA 91740 (LA County, near Pasadena/Pomona/Irwindale/... short drive from Orange County/San Bernadino County)

~~Rob

Any update yet? Also, I sent you a PM Rob.

caribsea is argonite. no difference. (except I think some caribsea has sea shells in the sand which burrowers use to help prop up their homes.)

lol this stuff is dirt cheap... now once you establish your tank with this as your substate will it then become live sand?

Jonathan G. said:
lol this stuff is dirt cheap... now once you establish your tank with this as your substate will it then become live sand?
sure enough

Do you cure it before adding to an established tank? I have some live sand and lots of live rock. My tanks three years old. I would love to have more sand but not at the cost of cycling. Would I have to cure it in a seperate tank?

Adding sand is not going to cause a new cycle to start. It will cause a sandstorm for days or weeks depending on how much you add. Once the sand is coated with bacteria it will settle within minutes.
So, cure it outside of the tank in a large container (surface area) to get the bacteria coating the sand. Then add it slowly, no more than a ½" to 1" at a time.

Back
Top Bottom