It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still in progress. I dropped the MH lights down to 5 hours per day, and every 4-5 days (as I remember to do it) I increase the duration by 30 minutes.

Miss me?

So I went AWOL for a while. Lots of reasons, none of which I'll bore you with, though.

Okay, so tank status. The tank is doing well. Things are continuing to grow nicely. They took a hiatus on growing for a while as I had stopped dosing Mag, Ca and Alk as part of an experiment that seems to have had positive results, but the corals lacked growth during this time. I started dosing again a while back and things are back on the up and up again.

I've been battling flatworms (planaria) like nobody's business. I suck them out, dose with flatworm exit, but they keep coming back. I've dosed 200% 4 times over the past couple months, this past weekend being the most recent, and today I see a dozen or so of them back again. The exit works, but there must be tons of eggs or something back in the rockwork I can't see that keep hatching. I guess I'll be dosing again here soon. It's getting expensive, though. I haven't acquired any new stuff since Ziggy noticed the flatworms last October, I keep telling myself to get them taken care of before introducing new things.

Several coral colonies have grown so much that they're growing into one another. My GSPs have gotten huge, as has my orange monti cap and my ORA green birds nest, and the pink birdsnest too. I really want/need to frag and sell some stuff off, but can't do it while I have this flatworm problem. I'm not sure what to do in the interim.

Anyways, here's a few pics I snapped the other day.

img_1078879_0_722befce15f70533ac236543cb1137d3.jpg

img_1078879_1_f8617afedf32a81ad15d8594b15378bb.jpg

img_1078879_2_12029d39c0463b88fd7c9ab1186ea849.jpg

img_1078879_3_d8bbe1848590478fa3165c169ee1e051.jpg

Last edited:
Now that is what a tank should look like. Great tank, just absolutely fantastic. And welcome back as well.

Questions, I thought flatworms were good for a saltwater tank? At leas that's what it says on xtal, unless i'm mistaken. Are they bad for coral or something though?

Honestly, your frogspawn and your GSPs are freakin awesome!! However, the green birdsnest are my favorite coral, and those also look amazing in your tank.

You know a Radiant Wrasse would take care of that problem and wipe them out?

Tank look great Big Guy... (y)

Thanks everyone, glad to be back.

Xtal reef says "The other ones, the red ones, can reach plague proportions as they reproduce rapidly and smother corals." this is what I have and am fighting. I dosed eXit again tonight. we'll see....

As for the back glass - haha, I always get that. If you look closely you can see the areas I can't get to. Here are my secret weapons:
pPETS-3762672r200.jpg

I had a small infestation of planaria. I always kept the popluation down by siphoning them out at water changes. When I finally decided to treat them, I used 1/2 a bottle of Flatworm eXit. In less than 5 mins they were all dead and floating in the water. I grabbed a fine mesh net and started scooping them out since the toxins they release when they die can cause issues. I haven't seen 1 since.

http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

Last edited:
Glad your Tank looks great. Mine on the other hand is I just cant keep it clean looking. Stuff growing everywhere. lol

Ah.. i see now why they are not a good thing lol. Hope i don't come across those some day.. :p

Yeah Larry, that's pretty much what I've been doing. But they keep coming back. From what I can gather, I just let them get too far out of hand initially before doing anything. I don't think the Flatworm eXit kills eggs, only living worms. So I'm guessing that when I dose I'm killing all the worms, but eggs are being left behind allowing them to keep coming back. Eventually Im hopeful I'll get all of them though.

Ray, I still have several of your pieces. The Xenia you gave me, the mushrooms have reproduced nicely, and that huge GSP colony started with that mat you gave me.

Yes we did miss you but not as much as pics of your tank.LOL. Welcome back and that is a very nice looking tank.

Even though this Thread is 198 days old- I still want to see updated Picture of this Tank???? (y)

Back
Top Bottom