Jawing about jawfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
From my limited but developing understanding of fish behavior, it seems that many, if not most, burrowing fish prefer/need a sand bed of 3" or more. I'm planning to use less. Could I bury a few lengths of 1" PVC to both serve as live rock supports and home for these little guys? (I would perforate the tubes and leave the ends open to keep some circulation in them.)

Guy at LFS told me a shallow bed is ok; the fish will move the sand where they think it should go (yikes!). ??????

Also, do I need a pebbly substrate? I was hoping to use oolitic size for a shallow bed (1"-2") in the hopes of coaxing at least a few denitrifying bacteria to set up shop- in spite of the shallow bed.

Ah yes, man's never-ending quest for knowledge. :idea:

BTW, with the mounting expenses of setting up, we no refer to this as a "hobby" in our house. It has become an "investment". I just hope this one fares better than my stock portfolio and mutual funds have over the last few years. :roll:

yes the jaw fish will move the sand around to make the home they like ! you will find that they will prob not like the pvc tubes as homes its not natural ! i could be wrong but ime ive never had them do that my self ! pebbles are not really the way to go imo ! i have found they like to uses small shells or small lr rubble ! how much sand are you going to have ? also best imo to add these fish first if you can ! you can look at my gallery at the yellow heads i had for a long time till the tank overheated they didnt make it :-(

how much sand are you going to have

I'm hoping to get by with between 1" and 2" (because I have a small tank), but I've read that these little diggers really like more depth to play with.

Back
Top Bottom