Jellyfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjara03

Aquarium Advice Freak
does anyone know about getting a jellyfish for an aquarium? any info wuould be awesome!!! TIA!!

They have to go in a really specialized tank I believe. Don't know much about it, but fairly certain they can't go in your average aquarium with the rest of your livestock.

They also have to be in a round tank. If they get caught in a corner, they will die. And, I believe they have to be in a colder than normal temps.

I know it's closed but I have to warn you one a couple things.

The only jellyfish that is really readily available to the average aquarist is the upside down jellyfish.

Most jellyfish extremely hard to keep. Even some zoos have trouble with them.
I've seena tank with box jellyfish at seaworld and it was extremely boring.

Why spend a whole lot of money on one? Most likely you won't have any success with one or you'll find it boring.

Tht's my two cents.

I am new to this forum but so far have found it to be great. When I began reading this and previous threads on jellyfish I knew that this would have to be my first post. About 6-8 weeks ago I purchased an upside-down jellyfish from my LFS. I did research on it before hand and at least had some idea of what I was getting myself into, but for a mere 12 bucks I thought I should give it a try. My jellyfish is still alive, so far, and seems to be doing pretty well. It lives in a 6g nano-cube with live rock, and a few sparsely placed coral frags. When I got it the biggest problem I had was that it would get stuck in the intake of the overflow box. I spent a week making a guard to cover the intake and covered it with the net from an old breeder. Then a couple of times it got stuck between rocks, but they are now arranged to give it access to anywhere without getting stuck. Anyways, the point is, it is still alive and seems to be doing well.

I have a few pics taken with my cell phone(reason for the awful quality) but I will try now to figure out how to post them.

Back
Top Bottom