Jumpin in, need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

embro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, this is my first post, but i've been reading the board for quite a while now.

Im preparing a SW tank for this winter, i've seen some people saying that on sand bed SW tank it is possible to NEVER clean the sand... what would i need?

Also, i currently have a fluval 404, should i keep it? will i need it? if so why?

TIA

hermits+snails+worms+pods=no sandbed cleaning. A canister filter won't be needed for filtration with a good sandbed. You can use it but make sure you keep it clean. You can also remove the media and use it for additional water circulation and a place to put carbon.

Although you never clean a sand bed that doesn't mean it stays bright white and pretty. Be prepared for a natural looking sand bed with algae, cyanobacteria, worms, 'pods, coraline, and other "enhancements" that a newbie may be unprepared for. Have a look at fishfreek's tank pics to give you an idea of what a mature sand bed can look like.
If that's what you're after then you are correct in assuming it mean less maintenance.

Hey Embro! Welcome! :D

What size tank and inhabitants are you thinking about? Might get some ideas from folk about additional inhabitants that can help with the sand cleaning.

Well right now im thinking about something between 55gal and 75gal, but im still unsure about filtration process, live rocks are interesting since you can buy something like 20 to 30lbs and some base rocks and wait untill it spread around, or pay the full price of ~100lbs of LV. But, in this hobby, the more interesting it is, the harder it is most of the time, anyway im not in a hurry, i'll take my time, i dont want to learn from errors, i prefer the studying route. :D

definitely read Robert Fenner's book The Conscientous Marine Aquarist. it's excellent, and will explain the benefits of live rock versus no rock or 'dead' base rock.

I also have a DSB and a Fluval 404 in my 72 Gallon tank.

While the 404 may not be necessary I feel better having it running.
Just make sure to clean it monthly.

My DSB has some algea growing on it but nothing major, that's expected in a new tank.

I also recommend lots of LR for filtration

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom