Just got my RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utahcutter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yay,
Just got my first RO/DI unit (5 stage). My question is how do I know when it is time for new filters and where can I find them? This unit I found on ebay, due to not having deep pockets, and the place the seller got it from is no longer in business to get any supplies from. Also I've heard much about an RO membrane. How often do you need a new one of those? Seller stated that it hasn't been used much though I thought the filter in the first stage looked pretty dirty. Maybe I'll test water first thing to see how it is doing.

is your system used? if it is i would buy a dts tester at the hardware store or on ebay for about 25.00 bucks asap. you'll probably need to change it right away.

Just got my first RO/DI unit (5 stage).
are you sure you got the DI part, i have a 5-stage also from aquasafe canada (ebay also) but it is only a ro unit.

My question is how do I know when it is time for new filters and where can I find them?
i would use the tester to know for sure the instructions should come with parameters. as for finding new membranes you can call your local hardware store or plumbing/water purifying "store" and they should have the standard sizes for the RO membrane and the charcoal membranes.

hth

mark

www.aquariumwaterfilters.com can sell you replacment membranes. I have used their membranes in the RO unit I got off ebay a few years ago with no problems what so ever. In fact I really should order another set of carbon/sediment cartrages as the ones I got last year about this time should be replaced.

well the seller advertised it as an ro/di unit. How do you tell the difference? Sounds like I can get most things I need via hardware store. the three other filters look brand new, the first one just looks dirty, but I'm inexperienced with these systems. Haven't got it up and running yet due to space issues, but will hopefully give it a test soon. Oh and yes it is used. Seller claimed she had it for a year, but hardly used it, thus decided to get rid of it. But I don't really know how much it was actually used.

Where do you live in Utah??? There is a LFS in bountiful called Bird World that has a large supply of membranes, filers, cartridges. ect. You might want to give them a try..

i'm not sure if the site i put in works, sorry if it doesnt. the point is you'll still have great water without the DI part. you can always buy one later and hook it up.

HTH

mark

Hey ohio your link didn't work. Either way I got a heck of a deal so I'm don't feel ripped off if it is just an RO unit. Also thanks for the LFS reccomendation reefobsessed. I'm in Brigham City, my favorite LFS got put out of business thanks to the evil :evil: Pet's mart. Also there is a place in Ogden called Aquatic Dreams. I've been very impressed with them. I don't think they stock RO filters but they are the type of people who will do what they can to get what you need. Right now they are working on getting me a pair of mated perculas. Said he would make sure they were mated before he called me, and he prefers to hold all fish for at least a week to make sure they are healthy. You may want to check them out sometime if your in the area.

ok, did a little research. I'm 99% sure this unit has DI. The last canister contains a cartridge that is full of some grainy/sandy grose looking stuff, not at all like the other filters through the rest of the system. Looked very much like the DI addon advertised on liveaquaria.com. Thanks for all your help guys. 8)

Back
Top Bottom