Kalk dosing and no changes? - UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I have been adding pickleing lime to my top off water for about 3 weeks. Before dosing, my CA ranged from 375-390 and Alk was 2.5-3 meg/L. I was trying to bump everything up just a tad but testing after the kalk additions has yielded the same numbers? PH is 8.2-8.4 and temp is 82-85. I have been having temp problems as of late with the MH's.

Also, if you add to much lime to the water will you just be wasting kalk since the water will only absorb so much. I have been putting in 1tbs per gal and I think it should be 1 tsp! I normally error on the low side but not this time.

Thanks

I have a float in the sump that triggers a pump in the top off container. I have the kalk in the top off container.

I evaporate about 6 gal a week. I has been a bit more lately since I have to have a fan on the sump to keep temps down.

Perhaps you need more than top-offs are providing?

The only other thing I can think of is that your kalk mixture isn't optimal but I've never used the pickling lime so I'm not sure what the exact quantities for super-saturation would be.

BTW- you might also want to look into Mg.

Pickling lime is the same as the Kalkweiser that you'd buy at the LFS. The saturation level is 2 teaspoons per gallon of R/O water, and even then you'll have a tough time dissolving it all.

Ah okay.. then I would suggest testing magnesium levels.

Yeah, I know about the saturation point now. I just mistaked the teaspoon/tablespoon. :(

I guess I could add some at my next water change as well.

which is it now? I have been under the impression it was 2-3 tablespoons (which is the amount i use) and have the same problems. I found out about the MG thing and got a kit and tested it. It was 1080 ppm, a little low since it should be 1285. So I am now doseing tech-m by kent and am currantly waiting for the levels to come up. I also have beem using pickling lime. I just bought some reg kaulk as I am told it buffers better. we will see, it was only 7 bucks for like 16 oz. I'm not sure what the cost is on the big Island.

You can add as much kalk as you want... you want it to be saturated to the point that there is a skin on the top and sediment on the bottom. You take the middle water which will be totally saturated. You can then add more water to the sediment mixture and just keep it saturated.

I am getting a film on top and the crud on the bottom. I just dump the kalk in my top off container and my pump is raised a bit so it only pulls from the middle.

I don't have a Mg test kit though. I am almost inclined to just stay where I am at. I switched to oceanic to get a better Ca mix and I have a monti digita and a horn acro(I think) that is growing. I have read that a alk/Ca balance is more important than high Ca though. I just want a few SPS thats all :)

I topoff about 1/2 gallon a day using 1/2 teaspoon of Balls pickling lime. I also get precipate on the bottom so I assume its fully saturated. This recipe holds my CA about 380, alk 9 dkh. Try raising your level with some liquid CA and then use the kalk to maintain.

I also was having problems getting my Ca. up. Then Mg. was brought to my attention so I dosed with ESV Mg. it helped but was still under the 1300ppm mark. So I used Kent Tech M which was very weak :x , then I seen something about using epsom salt. Worked like a charm and for only $.99 a box, after my Mg. went up so did my Ca. I mix mine at 2tsp. per gal. of R/O with Balls pickeling lime, havent had a Mg, Ca, or Alk. problem since. :D

I drip around 5gal a week.

HTH,
Rich

Is there a certain amount, I should say is there an optimal amount of time after you mix the kalk to add it to the tank?

If I make it and don't use it for three days then should I remix it? 0X

Yes, you dont want to use it right after its mixed. You want to wait at least a few hours for it to settle, I typically let it sit over night. Leaving it three days should be ok, but I hear it looses its potentcy after 5 days.

Rich

Actually, kalk with stay "good" for an extremely lengthy period of time, at least until the crust that forms due to Co2 is broken. Once this happen, the potency of the kalk goes downhill fast.

I let mine settle for 24 hours before I decant the liquid solution. This ensure all the particles have had time to settle out.

Two teaspoons of Kalk in one gallon of water will create a fully saturated kalk solution. You can use more kalk if you want, but you will only be wasting it as no more can dissolve without the use of some other carbon source (i.e. vinegar).

Here are some good links about using Kalk:

The Self Purification of Limewater (Kalkwasser)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/chem.htm

The Degradation of Limewater (Kalkwasser) in Air
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.htm

Expanding the Limits of Limewater: Adding Organic Carbon Sources (vinegar)
http://web.archive.org/web/20030418...twork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/oct/bio/default.asp

If it helps, I use Kents Kalk mix. 2 tsp / gal (Which is what they recommend) Works like a champ. Your flow rate may be too slow, I use about 2.5Gal every 3 days which still doesn't keep up with my evap..But lemme say this..The research I did said not to use Kalk to raise these params. Instead you should use Ca additives, etc to get the levels where you want them. Once your there and they stabilize, then start using a kalk mix to maint the levels. Maybe its hog wash, but it sorta makes sense since you are essentaily trying to over power your existing levels of Ca. Problem is you'll be over dosing you PH too (Kalk water as Im sure you know...very high PH). I have also read that you should use the water soon as possible and not let it sit. I typically mix mine in the afternoon and start dripping it just before lights out that same day.
Just as a test, it may be worth investing a few bucks into a jar of the Kents kalk and using it as prescribed (remember not to dose anything else with it, unless its compatable..) just to see if it gets you the results your looking for.
my $.02

-GL

right now I am increaseing my MG levels. they were at 1080 and should be at 1285 (NSW). I am almost there. now what I need to know (since i got a new kit) is how to convert PPM into DKH. PH has never gone above 8.2 late in the day. and I have treid the lime, Baking soda, Reef carbonate. you name it. I driped red sea's Kalk mix last night and this morning was no change in PH, 7.89.

I have some superdkh, and some turbo calcium, made by Kent, coming in the mail. so we will se how it goes. wish me luck 0X

Back
Top Bottom