Kalkwasser for cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yea I think another 1400 would be a good idea too. At least I have a possible cause of what the issue may have been now. I have been stumped on this for a while. Thanks schism .

Hondatek said:
yea I think another 1400 would be a good idea too. At least I have a possible cause of what the issue may have been now. I have been stumped on this for a while. Thanks schism .

Yep no problem, keep us updated.

Schism said:
Indirectly yes. I would think about getting another powerhead or two. With a FoWLR there is really no limit to flow. At at less then 30x turnover you have that is lower then whats recommended for most reefs.

Im sure you have a number of low flow or dead spots that could be eliminated.

Phosphates arent part of the cycle their produced overfeeding is #1 then theres food that contain phosphates also dead or decaying life also produces phosphates

danbstrong said:
Phosphates arent part of the cycle their produced overfeeding is #1 then theres food that contain phosphates also dead or decaying life also produces phosphates

Your right . But if the the flow in the tank isn't enough to get the debris whether it is uneaten food or waste to my sump it isn't really filtering how it should be. It probably has just built up over time. It should help .

Hondatek said:
Your right . But if the the flow in the tank isn't enough to get the debris whether it is uneaten food or waste to my sump it isn't really filtering how it should be. It probably has just built up over time. It should help .

Correct.

The problem does not seem to be overfeeding, rather it seems the waste/food is not efficiently being removed. Flow and skimmer will indirectly remove phosphates by removing organic compounds.

This is at least where i would start in solving this problem.

Schism said:
Correct.

The problem does not seem to be overfeeding, rather it seems the waste/food is not efficiently being removed. Flow and skimmer will indirectly remove phosphates by removing organic compounds.

This is at least where i would start in solving this problem.

Get some more inverts i have a serpent star and nassarius snails to eat whatever falls in the sand soon as food inters the tank the snails come out of the sand and devour anything that touches it just a thought

I wish I could keep more inverts. Having a porc puffer makes it kinda hard to keep a decent population .

I agree with the given advice regarding nutrient reduction but will answer your original question regarding kalk. One of the other ways to help kill off cyano is raising your pH. Kalk will raise your pH, but you have to be careful not to raise your calcium and/or alk too much in that process.

Thanks capt for answering the original question. I don't have test kits for calcium and alk since it is a fish only so I won't be adding kalkwasser . I am hopeful that changing the angle of powerheads and adding another will correct my cyano issue.

I'm ready to click the order button for two more 1400 gph powerheads . Does that seem like enough? Too much?

Hondatek said:
I'm ready to click the order button for two more 1400 gph powerheads . Does that seem like enough? Too much?

Erase too much from your vocab. No such thing lol. But yes i think that will help tremendously. Far from being too much tho so your safe.

Cyano will grow when nothing else does. I think silica in the water helps set it off. I use a large algae scrubber and still had a problem with it until I did two things: increased flow and added a water polisher with carbon and Polysorb. No more Cyano.

Lol I think my wallet would disagree shism. I will order the two and see what happens before I do anything else.

My powerhead came in today . Unfortunately my mixing and water change pump broke on me last week so I was only able to get one . I have noticed a significant increase in skim production and scrubber growth this week after I adjusted my original power heads so it seems I'm on the right track here . Maybe a slight decrease in cyano but hard to tell.

Just had a cyano outbreak. Got ride of it by leaving the lights off for 3 days and turning up my power head all the way.

Back
Top Bottom