Kalkwasser messup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone this sounds a bit dumb, but I half been half dead today and may have mis heard my friend's advice today. Anyway after havign my tank pretty much cycled he emntioned that I should be adding kalwasser to help out with the corraline growth in the tank. I think he may have said to dump it (the rest of the can/jar) into the refugium. Well I started pouring in some of the powder in when I thought maybe I should stir it in some R/O water and then pour that into the refugium (the set up needed some extra water anyway. Now after I did this.. in my dreaded stupor I looked at the sirections, and it says not to go past two table spoons... and I know I just dumped more than that... maybe about double or a little more than that amount. Should I be worried.. my tank looks hazey but I figured that is from the kalkwasser just being introduced. Will my corals be hurt by this "massive addition"? Thanks. I will be building a dripper to do this job in the future, and usually I would have followed the directions.. but like I said I am half way dead :oops:

When you are half way dead in the future, I would lock away dangerous chemicals.

IMO, you could very well have caused a major disaster. You cannot add the powder directly to the tank, it must be dripped because the PH of the kalk is so high you can cause a dangerous PH shift that will wipe out your tank. You can also cause a "snowball" effect as the sudden shift can cause the calcium tank to precipitate out of solution.

To be blunt, if you are not testing for and noticing a deficiency, don't dose ANYTHING. If you do need to dose, do so appropriately.

Wow, tough to be your current livestock. :?

In the future when you are tired, sleep, and focus on the tank when you have a clear head. Nothing will go wrong in the tank for the day(s) it takes you to get there. You should be enjoying the rewards of all the recent upgrading on the 45g. :wink:

There's really nothing in my tank though.. just some live rock. The few corals I do have are, and have been in my friend's tank for this past while. And yeah I know I should have been more clear headed but *&%$ happens sometimes, and better to do it with nothing in the tank than witha full reef! :p

Electrobes said:
better to do it with nothing in the tank than witha full reef! :p

That's what I"m sooo worrid about, someday a year or so from now when I have $2,000 worth of corals something stuipd will happen and I'll loose it all.

The few corals I do have are, and have been in my friend's tank for this past while

Oh, I went by your profile. Disregard my statement then!...it's actually good because it explains why I was so befuddled at the out of character, non-chalant manner of your post. I just thought you were really tired and delirious. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom