Kalkwasser Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of dripping kalkwasser into my 20g mixed reef. I've been having trouble keeping my ph up as it sits pretty low now around 7.7-7.8.

What's the best way? I was thinking of just dripping it when needed during lights out when natural evap occurs. Now, I heard that the solution loses potency as it ages. Is it really going to change all that much in one week? I go through a gallon a week of top off water.

Also, since it's a small tank, I'm assuming it'll maintain alkalinity and magnesium through water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cal 400
Alk 8 dkh
pH 7.8

I don't have a test kit for mag at the moment.

The simplest way to raise pH is by aeration. Point one of your power heads to water surface to create agitation. The skimmer has a dual purpose. It aerates and removes excess nutrients to reduce phosphate and nitrate levels.

There already is a lot of agitation. I have one of my powerheads pointed at the surface and I have my HOB filter.

Personally, I would leave it be. My big tank ran for like 2 years with similar pH and everything was fine. If it's stable don't mess with it is my input.

Personally, I would leave it be. My big tank ran for like 2 years with similar pH and everything was fine. If it's stable don't mess with it is my input.

+1. I don't even test my ph honestly.

I was thinking that as well. A tank is healthier with a lower stable pH than a fluctuating higher one.

I guess I'm just a little OCD on keeping parameters in range :p

Back
Top Bottom