Keep the sand??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys! Just bought a used 90 gallon reef ready tank. The guy saved the sand for me in a bucket. Should I reuse it? I’m not setting the tank up right away so it will sit in the bucket for a while...2-3 weeks. Should I ditch it and get new sand?

If you decide to reuse the sand, it will take a LOT of rinsing. I usually just suggest ditching it for new. Who knows how much gunk is built up in that sand.

I would definitely try getting new sand its not that expensive. You don't want to be sorry and loose fish cause of what may have been in his tank..

I ditched the sand. I think I’m going to ditch the rocks and get new as well. The more I look at them they’re pretty ugly and I’ve had them in sw but no heater or anything so they don’t smell so hot

I ditched the sand. I think I’m going to ditch the rocks and get new as well. The more I look at them they’re pretty ugly and I’ve had them in sw but no heater or anything so they don’t smell so hot

Add a heater, then you'll basically have a pre cycled tank after you cure the rock like that.

Add a heater, then you'll basically have a pre cycled tank after you cure the rock like that.

I’m going to pick through the better looking rocks.
I’ve also been looking at rocks from addictive reef keeping that are purple....is it worth paying the extra money for fake coraline?
I never thought I’d be dwelling on rocks this much!

I don't think it is worth the coloring...but people have all kinds of different tastes so I would say that is up to you.

I keep going back and forth. Now I’m looking at reefcleaners base rock...I do have a bucket of dry marco rocks that would be silly to waste

I always think that saving money where you can in this hobby is a good thing. Rock can easily be reused by just blasting them with a hose.

How do you feel about live sand direct from Florida ocean? I’m waiting to hear about shipping cost(I’m in NY) if it’s too crazy I’m not doing it. Looks pretty nice though.
From Salty Bottom Reef

That sand from the ocean probably does not have the beneficial aspects to it that it used to have. Between sitting in a warehouse and the shipping to and to you is probably live sand by now.

That sand from the ocean probably does not have the beneficial aspects to it that it used to have. Between sitting in a warehouse and the shipping to and to you is probably live sand by now.

This was sand straight from Florida reef (salty bottom reef) but it was way too expensive! I got a 40 pound bag of caribsea aragonite and night mix some crushed coral with it

Sadly, the crushed coral will all rise to the top and the sand will just filter down to the bottom of the tank.

Ugh. I didn’t think about that! Maybe I’ll stick with the aragonite (special grade) I also like the looks of the Fiji pink, and the arag alive natural reef. I definitely like gobies so the arag natural reef stuff might be too big.
Something about an empty tank sitting in your living room really makes you dwell on everything!!
I did finally buy dry base rocks(white) and I’ll just seed them with the lr in my temp tank.
Usually I can make up my mind better than this!![emoji3526]

Back
Top Bottom