Keeping Powdered Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I have a 125 reef tank that has been running for 3 months now. I have a sump/refugium, protein skimmer and media reactor. At this time, eveything seems to be thriving with the corals,zoos, mushrooms expanding as well as coralline algae booming. I have a golden wrasse, 2 tomato clowns, one fox face, one yellow tang and 2 cardinals. I have always love the PBT and I would like to know if that fish is reserved only for advanced aquarist (I am a beginner) or it will fight with the YT. I would like to know before I pluck down 100 bucks. Nitrate=almost zero with Nitrite=0, Ph=8.2, ammonia =0, Ca =420. I have T-5 lights and two powerheads. Thanks Dai Phan

All tangs seem to be succeptible to cryptocaryon "ich" and a PBT is no exception so expect an infestation, which means hyposalinity in a quarantine tank. I would begin hypo within the first week and deworm. Quarantine should last at least 30 days. I personally do not believe this is an "advanced" animal to care for as long as you quarantine thoroughly. Once it attains reasonable size it will dominate the tank. I would not purchase this animal until your tank is at least 6 months - 1 year old and depending on your personal experience in fish keeping.

Honestly I would wait a little longer and let your tank become even more established. An established tank will only increase the chance of successfully keep the beautiful PBT! I understand the draw to those fish, they are one of my favorites!

8-OWhat's up Rev? Nice to see you lurking around David!;)

All great advice. The PBT can be a pretty difficult fish to keep for the reasons mentioned. I suggest waiting until your tank has matured a bit and making sure you are well-rehersed in the arts of the QT tank. IMHO, it is a must for this fish.

Along with very careful selection (buying from a top-notch LFS you trust) and using a QT tank, diet is also very important for this type of fish. Make sure you can offer what it needs while still maintaining proper water parameters.

Hello all,

Thank you for the advice. If the fish has been at the dealer tank for over one month and is thriving and eating, do I need to quarantine it still? At this time, my stock is in 125 gallon tank with sump/refigium and PS:

1. One starry blenny.
2. 7 green chromis.
3. One yellow Tang.
4. 2 tomatoe clowns.
5. 2 pajama cardinals.
6. 1 fox face.
7. 1 carnary blenny.

I think adding one more will be it. I also have corals too and coralline algea is growing . Water chem is good. DP

The short answer is YES. Any new fish should be quarantined for 30 days before being added to the main tank. This is especially true of a PBT. That fish should not only be quarantined, but as Innovater suggested, it should be given a prophylaxis hyposalinity treatment. Anything less is tantamount to asking for an outbreak of Ich.

The short answer is YES. Any new fish should be quarantined for 30 days before being added to the main tank. This is especially true of a PBT. That fish should not only be quarantined, but as Innovater suggested, it should be given a prophylaxis hyposalinity treatment. Anything less is tantamount to asking for an outbreak of Ich.

Hello,

I do not understand one thing. If the PBT has been in the dealer tank for over one month and thriving (all by itself), why does it need to be re-quarantined again? The LFS agrees to hold one for me for at least a month before I agree to buy it assuming that it is thriving and eating. Thanks DP

You want to QT all fish regaradless of their stay at the LFS because LFSs normally run the same water through all tanks. They can be introducing ich into the system on a continual basis. Even if the fish was at the store for 5 months, the week before you pick up your tang, the system might've had ich introduced. While the fish doesn't show ich, it could be carrying it.

I do not understand one thing. If the PBT has been in the dealer tank for over one month and thriving (all by itself), why does it need to be re-quarantined again?

How do you know it has not been exposed to other fish or other water in the last week or two. Being that you dont have him you dont know what could have happened. Better safe than sorry.

Also important IMO is that you already have a yellow tang who calls the tank his home. They are known to be agressive. Mean even to newcomers- especially new tangs. Add that to the idea that the powder blue is less hardy, there may be fights for the first days the newcomer is added and you're really gonna be on the look out for any breakouts.

Might have to get a PBT larger than the yellow. Is that possible? How big is the yellow?

Another option may be to remove yellow temporarily and move the rock around.

Or switch. Yellow to QT and blue to main (after QTing) for a few weeks so that the yellow is no longer the first in the tank. Believe me, there could be problems with that yellow and a newcomer tang. When multiple tangs are desired, the yellow is the last to go in.

Another choice.... (hmmmm) take the yellow back whenthe PBT goes into the main (after QT). Get another yellow later.

Or... take the yellow back now, buythe PBT and a new yellow. QT them together and add to the main together.

Choices, choices. Sorry to make it so confusing, but those options are ones that I'd likely consider too. 'Specially since I did have a mean yellow once. Nasty dude to all newcomers.

Back
Top Bottom