kent ro/di ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
i guess its time to change the micron filter and carbon block !! water taste like a fresh water tank !! but my question is not sure if its time to change the di !! after reading the manual i still cant tell !! the top 1/3 is a orange color then it blends into an orange/blue,green in the other 1/3 and the last 1" or two is more of a greenish/blue !! is it better to change all 3 at the same time or can i wait till the whole di turns orange ??

anyone

im wanting to place an order today and need to know do i have time on the di or should i just buy it ???

wow i know alot of people hear have ro's so i take it i must have offended some people some how !! :-( if so didnt mean to

im wanting to place an order today and need to know do i have time on the di or should i just buy it ???
HUH?

Do you mean should you order a RO unit now and add DI later?
Buy it now! It's only a bit more and it will all come together as a single unit.

Just my opinion...

If your DI is half gone i would replace it because once they start to go they decline very fast.

read the first post !!
Merged the two threads.
Thanks Kevin, NOW it makes sense!

Steve, The only way to tell for sure is to use a TDS meter. I got one with my RO/DI unit from airwaterice. My DI lasted quite a long time after I thought it was depleted. I do 15 gallon changes every 2 weeks and about 10 gallons of top off in between.

thanks !! i went and ordered all new filters and ohhhh my god i couldnt believe how much crap was trapped in the micron filter !! thinking of adding another mabe going 1 micron into a .5 micron then the carbon !! the di filter looked ok but changeed it anyway !!

now on an average can i run tru 2-3 sets of filters before changing the ro membrane?? i do have the cheap tds meter that kent sells with there ro units !! dont like it though !! green ok red bad !?!?!?!? like to of had some number to go off of !! just food for thought for anyone else looking to buy one !!!

You can pick up a handheld TDS meter from CaptiveRaisedCorals.com for about 30.00 plus shipping ;)

now on an average can i run tru 2-3 sets of filters before changing the ro membrane??

You can run through as many pre filters as needed, it is recommended to change your membrane at least yearly, but gallonage is a better way to go. You can contact kent and they will tell you how many gallons your membrane is rated for. The TDS meter will be your best indicator of when to change your membrane and flushing the membrane monthly will greatly extend it's life.

The TDS meter will be your best indicator of when to change your membrane and flushing the membrane monthly will greatly extend it's life.

At what ppm do you suggest one replace the membrane, Kevin? I was thinking at around 10 ppm it should be done.

scuba_steve said:
i do have the cheap tds meter that kent sells with there ro units !! dont like it though !! green ok red bad !?!?!?!? like to of had some number to go off of !! just food for thought for anyone else looking to buy one !!!

Hmm, the new Kent RO/DI Unit I got has a good TDS Monitor with actual
numbers. Looks like they offer a better one now. FYI :)

At what ppm do you suggest one replace the membrane, Kevin? I was thinking at around 10 ppm it should be done.

Depends on what they were when you started and what your source water is reading. 10 ppm might simply indicate the need to change your DI and not the RO ;) You would need to test water directly after the RO and compare it to what it was when you started. I am just now getting into the RO/DI and TDS meter, been toting water for 18 months and am buying a new RO/DI complete with booster pump. Haven researched it enough to say when to change the membrane.

Sounds good.

According to my meter, my RO/DI water is 0-1 ppm. My tap water comes out at around 85ppm. So I guess I don't need to even worry about it. Just thought I would see what the ol'e wise one would say..

:wink:

I'm on a well and even after the iron filter, I'm figuring I got pretty bad water. Can't wait for my TDS meter to come in, I am very curious ;)

My tap water comes out at around 85ppm

LOL, my booster pump is only gonna give me 80psi, I remember the days of city water {sigh}

10-12 out of the RO is pretty good. The DI removes the rest of it. Unless you're really using a lot of water, you shouldn't have to replace the RO membrane more than once a year. Flush it regularly to extend the membranes life and get a few TDS readings from water that hasn't passed through the DI to establish a baseline...do this before the RO membrane gets very old. Then you can test the water once in a while to see how well your RO membrane is performing. Usually, unless your RO membrane is more than 9 months old, an increase in TDS indicates the need to change the DI cart. Also, don't assume the DI is used up because it all changes color...test it...you may have some useful life left in it. A TDS meter will pay for itself quickly in filter cart savings.

I have the Hanna tds that came with my unit from airwaterice.com The refills consists of a 10 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon and 1 micron carbon before the DI.

I'm only on my second set of filters so I don't know how long the membrane will really last. I do flush it before and after each use. The membrane has a three year warranty from the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom