Keyhole Limpets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeff8183

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have about 4 or 5 that came with my live rock, today i noticed that they spray out a cloudly sustance out of their hole, are these things good to have or should be taken out

They normaly are not good. They have small worm like thing that hides in their shell waiting to stirke at any potential meal or predator. Almost like a little old ladys guard dog. If you like them I would just watch them and see.

Matt

The Matt said:
They have small worm like thing that hides in their shell waiting to stirke at any potential meal or predator.

I've never heard that.

I've had keyholes in my tank for over two years. I've only ever seen mine expel when they were first added to the tank. I don't think it's much to worry about. They are great algae eaters but, I've read that some will find a liking to soft corals. I've never had this problem with mine. They also eat cyanobacteria. I would say, keep em. Innocent til proven guilty. I love mine.

I have a couple different types of limpets in my tank. Just be sure to watch for any signs of coral stress, if you have any corals. I've heard mixed info. regarding keyholes. I personally would probably leave them. FWIW if you see 4-5 , there are most likely quite a few more.

My limpets sure like xenia. I now have five or six living in my sump where they can do no damage.

Back
Top Bottom