Kill cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If chemiclean killed livestock its very likely the directions weren't followed. The reason was probably lack of oxygen, if you place airstone in sump, point power heads at surface you will be fine. Chemiclean will not fix the problem however if you use it and immediatly follow it with GFO the GFO can out compeat it and absorb the PO4 before the cyano and fix the problem by reducind PO4 in the tank.

Directions were followed, airstone was used and waterchange done in each instance that i witnessed. I also had a buddy that used this product in his 380g shark tank, he lost all his fish and i seen it with my eyes. I also know a coral farmer that i buy from who used it on a reef display and lost about 40% of his livestock fish and coral.

Now when you throw in all the other cases of people who misread the instructions or do not apply them to the T then you will begin to see how Chemiclean is not exactly completely safe.

PO4 can be bound to other things besides cyano, and freeing it up into the water column rapidly can cause just as many problems. Not necessary. Its just my opinion and experience thats its much harder to replicate the ocean with chemical products.

Ive seen it kill both fish and coral. It was used as directed and it occurred in more than one tank across multiple owners. I have also seen it used many times without problems.

Chemiclean pulls oxygen out of the water column, enough that it can suffocate inhabitants if its not replaced in time.

My point being its not COMPLETELY safe and does not 'fix' anything but the cosmetic removal of cyano,
There is no way it pulls enough oxygen out of the water column to kill things with a tank that has proper aeration to begin with. I have used this product in tanks with 3/4" of cyano on the entire sand bed and it removed it all in 3 days with no ill effects on anything. I took no extra steps to aerate. I have used it on about 10 different occasions. That's all I can go by. It's just an antibiotic. It's not going to directly hurt anything, except certain bacteria (gram negative or something of that nature, but not the beneficial bacteria).

I haven't used chemiclean but I have used what is called red slime. The red slime did no damage. I think it's about 18.00 a tube and it treat 100 gallons I believe. My lfs only recommends red slime because of their past experiences with it. Why change what's not broken. I used it and it works great. I would dose the red slime and then do a pwc the following day. The next day do the second dose with a pwc the following day and the issue was gone and has yet to come back after 2 months. Now I just have a small diatom outbreak which I can't seem to get rid of buy that's another thread.

I used chemiclean red slime remover before but didnt work its true it will damage some corals happened to me and my friend who was doing saltwater for 10 years and i went to my store and told me to get weiss organic algae magic and follow the instruction and pretty much im happy with the results and now if i notice any stuff building up on top of my sand i turn off my 2 canister filter and add my weiss algae magic and let my flow do its work while i clean my canister and change my rowaphos or my chemipure elite with it. Oh and 15 scarlet hermit crabs help too i watch them eat nuisance stuff in my sand bed and rocks. Go with the chemiclean if you want and its cheap and i tried it for a month but didnt work for me so try if it works on your tank if not try the one i recommended. Later!

Attachments

• image-1518729426.jpg
    image-1518729426.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 71
Chemiclean and red slime are 2 different products. If one doesn't work try another. There are different types of cyano and 1 product may not work as well as the other on different types of cyano.

Here is the red slime I'm speaking of...

Attachments

• image-4106700983.jpg
    image-4106700983.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 39
Umm im using this one before. chemiclean and ultra life are different product but they both remove red slime. So its not confusing to the people we help :)

Attachments

• image-1943041979.jpg
    image-1943041979.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 55
Alright, thanks all for the input. I will try to use ultralife or the chemiclean and put new gfo when I get a chance next week and will update you guys what happen. Thanks again :) have a great night all :)

Back
Top Bottom