Killer Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
:(
Ive had my 29gal reef tank setup now for 18 months, I have a pair of coral banded shrimp, and a pair of clowns for over a year now no other fish have been in the tank since the setup. Yesterday I added a firefish and the clowns were all over the new fish. I watched them for about a hour the clowns never left the new fish alone. The firefish went under the rock work to be safe. Later that evening I put some food on the tank and the clown went after the firefish again..I turned the lights out and this morning I woke up and the coral banded shrimp were eating the remains of the firefish...:(
My question is do you think I will always have a problem adding fish to my tank.?

I think before I put new fish in there I would take out the rock and then the clowns. Put the clowns in QT and then rearrange the rock, put in the new fish and then after about a week I'd put the clowns back. You might have better success though with a larger fish rather than something as tiny as a firefish.

Good luck!

Well the firefish was about the same size as the clowns....maybe if I would have bought a pair of firefish this may have not happened....I will have to setup a qt tank before the next purchase
Thanks

I think these clowns have paired up and will resent ANY new fish put into the tank. Unfortunately, the tank is really not big enough for a new fish to establish a spot far enough away from the clowns.

So you think the clowns will be the only fish I can put in the tank.?
The firefish was the first fish Ive put in since I put the clowns in over a year ago

If you would get any other fish they would have to be bigger than the clowns. That'll intimidate them to the point they won't mess with the newcomer. But you are really lacking room for any significant sized fish.

From personal experience my clowns always check out any new editions that come into my tank. It's always inverts; so they leave them alone.

...and starfish and coral

mmmmmmmmm.... corals... Makes me laugh that I could have considered a FOWLR tank! My 120 is *all* about the corals!

you can also, put the firefish into a clear container in the tank, that the clowns can get used to seeing over a few more weeks (1-2 months)

After they are used to the fact of having another tank mate they should leave him/her be... at least in theory...

Back
Top Bottom