Landscaping with Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the best way to hold pieces of liverock together so that there is
minimal shifting?

Hi Hara,

A friend has drilled shallow holes in his live rock and joined the rock pieces with plastic doweling. (Actually he used measured and cut pieces of mini blind rods.) As a further means to secure his reef, he used black strapping strips placed around pieces.

I have never tried to join rock pieces in either of my reefs as I have had no problem with the reef teetering. I do use foundation pieces.

Sue

Hara,

When aquascaping I try to place the rocks in such a manor that they kind of lock eachother in place but still allow water and fish to flow or swim thru them.

I place the rocks are the largest on the bottom and then work my way up selecting smaller and smaller rocks. I place the rocks on or between the other rocks. Usually i move the rocks or rock them back and forth and if I feel they are stable enough that a crew of hermits wont push them around I am satisified.

I suggest use playing with the rocks and trying them in different configurations at differnt angles. You should find a combo where they interlock but at the same time provide plenty of caves and hiding spots and at the same time allow good water current.

Back
Top Bottom