lare these reef safe? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone --

I hope I didn't make a mistake, and would like a sanity check. I've got a 55 gal FOWLR and have had a couple of false perculas and a cleaner shrimp for a couple of months. The LR is from liverocks.com, and so there are all sorts of nice hitchhikers as well. Over the past couple of weeks, I got a lemon peel and a kole tang (went through QT first!) and everyone is nice and healthy.

However, in the four days since I put the kole tang and lemon peel in the main tank, I'm starting to notice some (what I fear is) nibbles out of the rock. Both the LFS and what I've read said that they were both "reef safe", but they (or one of them) are definitiely nibbling, leaving pock marks where some rather beautifully smooth corraline algea, etc once was.

I'm feeding them 2x a day with a mix of brine and mysis shrimp, and have a strip of seaweed hanging as well (for the tang, really).

Some questions:

- are the kole tang and lemon peel truly reef safe (or "LR safe")?

- the clowns are quite small, but each of the other two are about 1.5"-2" long. How much should they be fed per day? I've been feeding about twice a day, with an total equivalent of a cube of brine shrimp that you get in the frozen packs.

- I also understand that they both need a tank of about 80 gal when full grown. When it gets to that point, I'll either trade them in, or upgrade to that 120 gal I really want someday ;-) sanity check on their tank size requirements, please.

Help, please, and thanks.
Matt

Kole tang, yes, probably although they will pick algae off the rocks all the time and possibly disturb some corals and inverrs. The lemon peel, well, first time I got one...I lost two corals before I got it out. It is the very rare lemon peel that will not pick at your inverts.

Thanks. At this point, I'm most concerned about the corraline algea -- there's a ton of it, and I really don't want to have it ruined. Just so I understand, then, the Kole eats any algea, including the good, purple corraline?
Matt

Dwarfs are a risk with pretty much any type of coral but they seem to have a stronger liking for softies. It really comes down to each individual angel and it's personality as odd as that sounds. Some will take any opportunity while the same species in a different tank may never touch them

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom