Large refugium for 40 breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

944speeder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I have a 40B tank that I'm setting up as a bare bottom reef, I got a great deal on a 90 gallon tank and am going to use it as a refugium and frag grow out tank, does any one have any experience using a refugium multiple times the display tank volume? Pros cons? Any input is very much appreciated, there will also be tons of macro and live rock in the fuge

There's nothing really wrong with it aside from being a bit of overkill. Why not use the 90g as the display and the 40 as the fuge?

Just set the 90 up as any other fuge would be and it should run well. If this is going to be out in the open you might make a display fuge. Blackened out parts of the 90g to hide equipment and a planted display area that could be like it's own separate tank.

Well the 40 is drilled with a glassbox overflow and I want very good flow in the display and a 90 is a little out of my budget for what I want, also I am going to be plumbing the fuge to be on display, also I want the majority of filtration to be natural along with some skimming to keep nutrients low, and my thought was to have a majority of the live rock to be in the fuge so I will have tons of room for corals in the DT. Also would I be okay running the 90 without baffles so I could maintain largest water volume possible or should I break it up to cut down on bubbles?

Like mebbid said there is nothing wrong with that. I dont know if I would call it overkill. I always go for as much water as possible to help making any water chemical changes slower and easier to address. I also agree that your best tank should be the display tank unless it is all scratched up glass or something.

Well the 40 is drilled with a glassbox overflow and I want very good flow in the display and a 90 is a little out of my budget for what I want, also I am going to be plumbing the fuge to be on display, also I want the majority of filtration to be natural along with some skimming to keep nutrients low, and my thought was to have a majority of the live rock to be in the fuge so I will have tons of room for corals in the DT. Also would I be okay running the 90 without baffles so I could maintain largest water volume possible or should I break it up to cut down on bubbles?

I don't run baffles in my refugium and really wish I had them but not for micro bubbles. The water level in my fuge constantly fluctuates making it almost impossible to keep a skimmer running.

Well I'm gonna have a ATO so hopefully the water level won't be an issue. Why does your water level drop ?

You could always set the 90 up as the dt with the fuge in the 40 above it. Then all you would need is a return pump in an overflow box pumping up to your 40 and pipe from your 40 down to the 90. From what I understand this was common practice a while ago. It may make maintenance a bit harder but you would get tons of live pods in your dt.

Well I'm gonna have a ATO so hopefully the water level won't be an issue. Why does your water level drop ?

I'm a broke college student and with me wanting approx $1000 in aquarium equipment an ato isn't at the top of my list.

Haha yeah I feel it wasn't high on my list but it's something that I feel benefits a reef tank. Also with the size of refugium salinity spikes would almost not be noticeable so I think ima bite the bullet on this one

Craigslist ftw... if your patience can hold you can find some great deals on anything. I picked up a 200 dollar skimmer for 20 bucks and have had friends get awesome t5 lights for 10 bucks then spend 40 bucks to replace the ballise and it works.

Back
Top Bottom