large tank water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sompa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you do with the water changes with large tanks?
I am building a house and going to be putting in a 240 in wall tank. Was wondering what you did with the water change water.

Thanks

I don't have a "large tank".. but down the drain it goes unless you have a large patch of grass you need to kill.

Down the drain. It's SW so there's not too much you can do with it.

I am not experienced with salt water, but if I were building a new home with large built-in aquaria, I would definitely figure out how to simplify the process by installing drain plumbing at the tank. You have a real opportunity to make this work as easily as possible since you are fortunate enough to be starting from scratch with the new home.

deffinitely agree with the suggestion to plan ahead. Design your entire system and it's plumbing with the thought in mind "how do I plumb the system for a hose free water change?"

With some extra PVC, valves etc, you can pretty much set your system up to almost do a water change for you. Simply shut off your auto-top-off, open the drain valve on your plumbing until you've drained out what you need. Close the drain valve and turn on your pump to refill. Once your tank is back up to normal level, shut off the pump and turn your auto-top-off back on.

If you're building the home and the entire system from scratch there's no reason it shouldn't be that simple.

Back
Top Bottom