Lava Rock from Store? (Not LFS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dscount

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have luck with just buying plain ole Lava Rock that you would pickup from Home Depot? (Cleaned first and the kind used for BBQ's)

Secondly. If put into a SUMP pump would you want to put a light on? Or would growth still happen in the 3-4 month window.

Currently this is my 10gal SUMP and will one day be a real FUGE. Budget and better half's spending the dough approval pending of course.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

On mine I have a light but only over the grape calerpa. I`ve never seen people use that lava rock so I dont know about it.

Year later and the answer is NO. Lava rock has no value. Didn't see any growth so I think it was just taking up space.

dscount said:
Year later and the answer is NO. Lava rock has no value. Didn't see any growth so I think it was just taking up space.
Wow!
Now that's dedication!
A year between posts just to make a follow up.
Awesome, dude. You've earned my admiration. :wink:

But.... I think I'd have to disagree with one or two things just on logic alone. (no firsthand experience like you)
A lot, if not most, central pacific reefs are built upon a foundation of millions of years worth of lava rock.
The nooks, crannies, and surface area of the lava rock would still harbor and grow the nitrifying bacteria to filter your tank water even if you didn't see coralline algae or any visible growths.

Hmmm... unless there was some other reason... like maybe an antibacterial additive or coating to keep your BBQ stones from turning moldy?

Did you use actual BBQ rocks or did you get some of the big, natural pieces from the garden department used for landscaping?

i've heard you can't use lava rock as "live rock" because unlike "normal" live rock, lava rock doesn't contain the minerals and calcium that normal (and conventional) live rock does

Back
Top Bottom