leaking tank please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Z

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For the 2nd time my aquarium has sprung a leak, last time was the end of May. Cut out all the old silicone, replaced it let it cure for 3 days, filled it with water for a day no leaks. Now 6 weeks later it sprung another leak.

What could I be doing that would cause this? What can I do to prevent it in the future. At my wits end.

Thanks in advance for your help

If you are using silicon made especially for sealing tanks then it sounds like the joints where you applied the silicon were not cleaned/prepared well enough.

I cut the old silicone out with a razor blade then cleaned with alcohol. How else should it be prepared?

The tank is about 3 years old, it was given to me when the people that had it moved. No seams? I'd love it. I've had some people suggest clamping it, just don't quite understand with the frame at the top how you would do that.

I use a magnet/scraper to clean the glass. The tank was level when I installed it. The only thing I can think of is I sometimes find myself resting my arm on the tank when I vacumn the bottom.

i do that as well, sometimes i put about 30-40 lbs of force on the top pane to get that extra inch, but my tank hasnt sprung a leak. Probably the quality of sealing the tank the first time.

Back
Top Bottom