Least aggressive Tang (in general)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gouramiboy9142

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all! So, recently I decided to convert my 20-gallon long Freshwater aquarium to Saltwater. Thr aquarium will stay as is for a while and I will then hopefully upgrade to a larger aquarium (probs. Around 90 gallons). In this event, I would like a small but hardy tang. But also, I would whichever one I choose to be non-aggressive.

From what I could gather, the most peaceful tangs to most aquarists are Regal Blue Tangs, Sailfin Tangs, Scopas Tangs, Mimic Tangs, Orange-shoulder Tangs, White-cheek Tangs, any Bristletooth Tangs, and any Naso tangs (though I know the last option is out of the question for what I have in mind). I know all Tangs have the potential to be agressive, so therefore I plan on having no other Tangs with this one at this point in time and to introduce it last. I'm leaning towards a Mimic, but if you guys have any other suggestions/input I would greatly appreciate it!

-Diego

Tangs are open water swimmers. They can not be kept in small systems. This will lead to disease and aggression in systems, which is what you are trying to avoid. Most tangs need to be kept in 6ft long systems. The exception to this would be kole and bristletooth tangs which can do OK in smaller 4ft long systems but require ample hiding spots in the 1 lbs per gallon rule for rock in the system to avoid aggression issues.

Tangs are open water swimmers. They can not be kept in small systems. This will lead to disease and aggression in systems, which is what you are trying to avoid. Most tangs need to be kept in 6ft long systems. The exception to this would be kole and bristletooth tangs which can do OK in smaller 4ft long systems but require ample hiding spots in the 1 lbs per gallon rule for rock in the system to avoid aggression issues.

I agree with this smaller tanks add to stress and will eventually kill it

What i can say that might be a bit different is a juvenile baby under a inch can do fine in a 3 foot tank but they do grow fast and be prepared to move it to a larger system in 6 months to a year
Many people do this and trade with people or their lfs for smaller

Just to clarify a 20 gallon tank shouldn’t house a tang

Hey there! Thanks for replying! A Kole Tang would be just fine for me. Don't worry, I plan to have plenty of rock to provide all necessary hiding spaces. I was leaning towards a Mimic Tang because I've heard of other aquarists keeping them in 90-gallon systems sucessfully. But if a Kole Tang or other Bristletooth is the best-fit Surgeonfish for this sort of environment, then that's fine by me. Thanks again for replying!

-Diego

I agree with this smaller tanks add to stress and will eventually kill it

What i can say that might be a bit different is a juvenile baby under a inch can do fine in a 3 foot tank but they do grow fast and be prepared to move it to a larger system in 6 months to a year
Many people do this and trade with people or their lfs for smaller

Just to clarify a 20 gallon tank shouldn’t house a tang

Hello! Thanks for replying! Don't worry, I plan on putting a Tang in only when I upgrade from a 20-gallon to a 90-gallon. I do plan on getting a juvenile anyway, if upgrading will prove neccessary. Thanks again for repying!

-Diego

I would suggest waiting until you have the 90. These are very sensitive fish that get sick and die quite easy. The length for swimming space is quite important.

I would suggest waiting until you have the 90. These are very sensitive fish that get sick and die quite easy. The length for swimming space is quite important.

Of course! That was part of my plan. And because of this, I also plan on quarantining these fish, as I understand that all tangs are particularly prone to ich. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate the input, so I've decided to wait 'till the 90-gallon is acquired so I can make sure all accomodations possible are made for the fish. But I would still like to hear what you guys would have to say about these angelic fish's personalities. So, at least out of curiosity, what is the least aggressive Tang in you guys' experience?

I've never seen any 'less' aggression out of any of my tangs. They are always fine until a new one is introduced, territorial skirmishes, reestablish territories, and all is fine.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate the input, so I've decided to wait 'till the 90-gallon is acquired so I can make sure all accomodations possible are made for the fish. But I would still like to hear what you guys would have to say about these angelic fish's personalities. So, at least out of curiosity, what is the least aggressive Tang in you guys' experience?

There is a reason why this family of fish live in schools but have a hidden (and sometimes not hidden) surgical scalpel at the ready. None are aggressive until forced to be aggressive. Don't force the issue and they all will be "Angelic" :whistle:
You are asking a question where the answers only apply when duplicating the parameters that the opinions were created by. Tangs and Surgeonfish and Large Angelfish species are always best kept as the last fishes added to an aquarium because they are the most territorial. If you notice, these 3 also have weaponry that they use. ;) (y)

quarantine quarantine quarantine if I can recommend anything. there is a lot of fish diseases coming with fish lately. especially velvet. I have seen so many velvet posts in the last 2 months. Good luck with your new saltwater adventure. BTW 90 gallon won’t last long once you catch the salty bug [emoji23] [emoji16][emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom