Leaving Fish Alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick question!

Don't rip my head off! I know this thread is posted a lot, but I haven't seen much about leaving saltwater fish alone.

I'm going to be gone from Dec 27-Jan 3 and that's about 6 days that I will not be home to see the fish at all.

Will it be okay to leave the fish without food for this time? They're all in qt tanks to kill off flukes in the main tank, I will feed and put some seaweed in before I leave and they can pick off the bottom if they get hungry.

What do you think, should I be good? Thanks

I was gone for over a week to get married and had someone come in every other day to feed and check things. Do you have anyone at all that can come in, maybe just once in the middle of the time you'll be gone? Me personally, I wouldnt leave the fish for that long without food.

why not use on of those vacation block feeders? sure its not exactly a great idea to use very often, but im sure it wouldn't hurt this once.

I guess I could try those blocks, it's a qt tank, I don't care about phosphates or algae. I'm not sure saltwater fish would take to that crap, I guess they would if they were starving though!!

what if I fed a lot before I left and then left some food at the bottom to pick at for later? It would kinda be like having a vacation block, except it's better quality food lol

A week is fine without food. Just feed them heavy before you go and don't worry.

Agreed dont leave food on the bottom of the tank it'll rot before it gets eaten look into an auto feeder

They won't eat anything but frozen food, so an auto feeder wouldn't be an option. I'm probably just going to leave them and feed them a lot before I go.

Back
Top Bottom