LED Light Lenses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible to put lenses on LEDs that don't have them? I use 4 starkLED Flare lights. They have 10 three (3) watt LEDs each. I would like to put lenses on them for deeper penetration. Would Home Depot or any other store (online including) have some that would fit? The LEDs are covered with what looks like glass or plastic. Rumor on the street is that StarkLED is rolling out lenses in November but that's not 100%. Sorry about the crappy pics

image-2740181036.jpg

Attachments

• image-3244815038.jpg
    image-3244815038.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 85
I don't think there's anything at the hardware store that will work. Lenses are available but usually for the multisegmented LED emitters that are the size of a postage stamp. Smaller lenses may be available thru science products pages like Edmunds.

RapidLED sells lenses for cree 3W LEDs, these might fit, you could look into it.

How deep is your tank? You shouldn't need lenses on anything less than 24" especially with the lights that close to the surface.

How deep is your tank? You shouldn't need lenses on anything less than 24" especially with the lights that close to the surface.

40 breeder tank. So it's 18" deep. I had heard that lenses contribute to a better coral growth. My corals are doing fine. My frogspawn started out as a one headed frag five months ago and now has three heads. Same with other corals. I just started adding SPS corals and was thinking of a way to improve growth. All of SPS are doing great. Red Monti Cap is doing the best. Technically I don't need lenses based on growth I have. Just trying to find for ways to improve.

If it ain't broke...

Lenses concentrate light but your tank is not deep enough that you would want lenses. Many emitters have 120 degree lenses built in. That's all the light spread you will want unless you hang the fixture 4 feet above the tank.

Gregcoyote said:
If it ain't broke...

Lenses concentrate light but your tank is not deep enough that you would want lenses. Many emitters have 120 degree lenses built in. That's all the light spread you will want unless you hang the fixture 4 feet above the tank.

+1+1+1. If you mess with a good thing, youll end up about 2-5 steps back from where you started. Id leave them well enough alone lol

Back
Top Bottom