Led lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have had the 165 watt chineese leds on my 110 display tank. Mixed reef with different corals. After 1 year the whites burned out so im looking to get new leds. Any suggestions on which? Dont want to go with the same chineese brand. Tank is 110 gallons. 5 foot across 18 front to back and 24 top to bottom. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like RaidLed, JMO.
The Chinese drivers are not very reliable, but easy to replace if you want to.

You know, if one bulb burns out they all don't work. If you look at the bulbs from below you should see one brownish bulb. Usually the lower kelvins blow first, like the 6500 whites. On ebay you can buy replacements for about a buck and with a saudering iron switch them out really easy. I've already replaced 2 on mine and they work just like new. A lot of people jump to the conclusion that you've burned out a driver but a lot of the time its just one of the little bulbs.

It sure can be a bulb. In most of them there is two drivers and two panels (white and blue) each has a driver. You can switch the drivers to see if it's a bulb or driver.

Ya it was the bulbs. I took it all apart. It was actually a couple bulbs and my blues where starting to fade so i just decided to order a new unit

The LEDs in your lighting fixture are wired just like your Christmas lights. Meaning they are connected in series just like a chain and when one bulb or diode goes bad, the whole string will not work. However, instead of a 120 vac that powers your Christmas lights, the LEDs normally use 24 VDC or more. It is easy to find out which one is bad without using a meter. Just get one dry cell battery 1.5v and attach a piece of wire at each end wrapped with an electrical tape then tap those wires to the LED one by one according to the LED polarity. Reverse the wire if it does not lit at first then follow the same with the rests. Good LED will lit and the bad one will not. Each LED will have maximum brightness with 3 volts across.

Back
Top Bottom