Led vs compact vs T5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vote?
LEDs are best for efficiency and total spectrum control. Best power consumption, least heat, cost is coming down to the same range as T5HO units.
There is a long thread on LED lighting in the getting started forum.

Compacts are real ancient lighting tech. It would take a ton of pc lights to keep coral. It used to be done this way, but there are much better ways now to do it.

T5ho is high output and can support corals. Depending on depth of a tank, you can keep different corals under these, but to keep the most light demanding coral will need around a 6 bulb unit.

There is also metal halide lighting. Similar to T5ho, but with a large ballast and a ton of energy. These put out a ton of heat and will raise the temp of your tank.

For the most part, MH lighting is currently being replaced by led tech IMO. Led units have VERY potent penetration of water. It can be easy to burn coral to death if not careful or underestimate their power. They do this at a fraction of the cost. This is both at energy consumption and maintenance. LEDs only need replaced every 10 years, where units that use bulbs need replaced 6 months to a year due to the color spectrum changing as bulbs age. It is easy to spend 100 on bulbs without trying. This alone makes led units highly desirable. Check out the taotronics LEDs. You can find them on eBay and amazon at pretty cheap prices. I personally would use the dimmable unit to aid in acclimating coral to the light and ensuring you have the right amount of lighting for your tank.

T5 will also raise the temp of your tank. Maybe even power compacts. The only one that barely does, if at all, is LED. LED lighting is the most efficient type of lighting used in this hobby to date.

I just point a flashlight at whatever coral I want to grow at nighttime and it has worked well for me...joke. I was at the LFS today picking up mysis shrimp and had a long conversation about lights with the store owner. He said that he personally likes HO T5s for coral growth and that LED lights have work to do.
I personally use LEDs bc I like energy efficiency, little (if any) overheating issues and my corals are doing just fine.

Having used 2x 250 MH for 5 years and then switching to 2x160 Maxspect Razor LED's, I would never go back, tank is a 125 mixed with 7 large nems, no change from anything upon switching and my nems sat 4 inches under the MH, now the Razor's are 9 inches above them. Was concerned about the change of lighting on the nems, but no problems at all

i would avoid compact at all cost. it's difficult and expensive to find replacement bulbs. i have done it once and will again never get one

Back
Top Bottom