Let cuc eat dead fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I came home to find the mandarin dead (i know it was competing w the wrasse for pods and starved). The cuc has already started to work on it so I thought i'd ask if anyone just let's them finish? I would usually net out the fish and flush it but I figure why not? I really don't think I would get an ammonia spike big enough to harm anything. Thoughts?

It really just depends on your tank size. In a small tank I would definitely remove it. In a large one, the choice really is up to you.

75 w a 20 sump. I may just let them for a little bit more then take it out before it decomposes too much.

I doubt the mandarin would affect your parameters too much in a tank that size. Should be fine.

75 w a 20 sump. I may just let them for a little bit more then take it out before it decomposes too much.

I normally leave them .
I have lost one sand sifter goby ,
Which was never to be seen .
Something ate it very fast ,
And after testing thinking I might get a spike , nothing .

Leaving the dead fish in is like adding an additional feeding. For me, my manderine would be a weeks worth of food by mass for my 110 gal setup.

Yea it def wasn't fun to watch. I left him in (forgot) and this morning he was gone. it is natural though so I don't know if it make me feel a whole lot better to flush em down the toilet.

I believe it's nature to leave it in there .
And since the start I was strongly advised to let nature do what it's supposed to .
Starting at the set up and cycle .
I have scavengers that consume everything .
Between crabs , bristle stars , bristle worms .
And what ever else is in there that I haven't saw yet .

Back
Top Bottom