Let's Talk Triggerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Let's talk triggers. My wife has been eyeballing a Hawaiian Black at the LFS for months, literally months. We recently picked up another tank and decided to slowly acquire the equipment and supplies to go salty. This means the wife must have a trigger. Fine by me, gives me an excuse to spend the money for the switch!
After some research, it seems it's hard to keep inverts/CUC with triggers, total bummer. I kept looking around online and seen bluejaw/blue throats are one of the more mild mannered, reef compatible triggers and according to some, won't bother inverts!
Yesterday, we stopped by the LFS just to see what new stock she had and browse around, low and behold, she has a male blue throat available, along with Picasso/Nigers and the previously mentioned Hawaiian black.

Would anyone agree that blue throats are more lenient being housed with inverts/CUC? I could do without I know, but I really like shrimp and crabs haha

Jesse

I know Liveaquaria lists them as "with caution" for reefs. I'm sure some have had luck with them, but I've never tried them (even though I think they are cool) because i didn't want to risk it. End of the day it's an animal and it will do what it will do. ?

I will tell you I had a Niger and got it when it was tiny (little bigger than a quarter). Once it grew, it was nasty. Took it back to the LFS and warned him it was nasty. Guy laughed and put it in one of the display tanks. He believed me after it ate both eyes out of a Yellow Tang the first day.

If you are not going the CUC route, I had a Pinktail Trigger. That was a cool fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've seen several members on RT say the Blue throats are often more forgiving than other trigs. Biggest complaint I seen was they like to move things that aren't attached or glued down lol. I don't particularly care for pink tails, or nigers, humus (Picasso or rectangle) either. Blue throats, and Red tail/Sargassum are really the only two I care for personally. The wife has no preference, she just demands a trigger of sorts

Jesse

If you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket, there is the Crosshatch. ?

We'll post a build thread when you do. With pictures. Will follow along.

I've had Picasso, Niger and Blue throats.
Triggers are invert wrecking machines. In fact early on I didn't realize their long term care required providing some meals in shell. Like rats, they need to gnaw. I fed crab legs and shrimp (big ones) in shell and that worked fine. The Blue throat is one of very few that may not eat your invert population. Depends on the fish, but your odds are zero with the other triggers pretty much.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't have to have inverts, but the wife requires a trigger. As we all know, happy wife = happy life.

Jesse

Haha exactly. If I have to be fowlr and build my entire stock around a trigger to make the wife happy, that's fine by me. Someone recommended file fish, but I cannot seem to find any that are "attractive"

Jesse

Actually had a Tassle File Fish once. Was a beautiful fish and really cool if you are looking for something different. Sounds like you need "his and hers" tanks. ?

After having a few triggers ...., as Greg said, they are a invert wacking machine, you prob won't be able to keep any snails,crabs,shrimps or anything that even looks like them,... They are also for the most part pretty territorial which means that they may turn on their tank mates too ,... They are still one of my favorites though , good luck

Back
Top Bottom