Light acclimating a clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
If the clam is in a tank at the LFS that uses MH light, should I still light acclimate it? If I do need to, for how long?

Thanks, Brian

You definitely need to watch it and be careful. LFS are known to not change their bulbs as frequently as they should, so it could get burned under yours although they're both MH. Also factor in tank height, etc. HTH

So, should I try the light diffuse method that is given in the articles section? This seems to be the most practical method of gradually stepping up the light.

Oh... Since it seems pretty important to light acclimate corals, etc, and I will no doubt have to do this each time, will it effect the existing coral by all of a sudden blocking the light they were thriving under for the weeks it takes to light acclimate the new guy? Does this mean that getting more than one at a time can be good, especially if I had to keep acclimating things over and over again?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do this right. Brian :D

If the intensities (wattage) are the same, I would shade it for a couple of days and then expose it to full light. Maybe start it lower in the tank and move it higher if necessary. Clams are also finicky as to flow, so don't be surprised if it decides to jump around on you.

Back
Top Bottom