Light timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I REALLY want to pick up some light timers for my fixture.... I've got PC with daylight,actinic, and lunar LEDs (three seperate plugs)... the problem is that I'm limited on plug space... I'm trying to find a timer that I can plug several items into and set at different intervals.... do you guys know where I might be able to pick something like this up ???

YOU ARE THE MAN !!! That's exactly what I was looking for......... thanks for the help... and a reasonable price too !!

That timer only switchs one set, such as day and night. If you want to run the Actinics separate from the Daylights, your still gonna need another timer. I have mine switching between actinics and night lights, then another for the halides.

So there's no way to have something that allows several plugs with several different time settings??????

the Coralife timer that guitarded suggested will work. What you do is plug your actinics on the day timer, set it whenever you want the initial lights to come on. Plug the lunar lights into the night timer. When the actinics go off, the lunars will come on. Lastly, buy a separate timer made for lamps/ lighting (I bought one from Home Depot for $10). Plug the separate timer into the constant "always on" side of the Coralife power strip. Then set that timer (the one for the daylights) to come on an hour or two after the actinics first turn on, and then have them turn off an hour or two before the actinics go off and the lunars come on. This will replicate the dawn/dusk periods.
At first, I was a little let down when I bought the Coralife Power Center. I then figured the way to remedy it and love it. It has 2 day / 2 night time plug receivers but you cannot control them with the timer individually. (Just day or night; 2 options) So the separate timer allows you to control each of the 3 lighting options. I guess it would be easier if Coralife just made it with a dawn-dusk / day / night options.

Anyway, I hope this helps! PM me if you have any questions.

I was a little let down when I bought the Coralife Power Center

I was down right mad.

What you do is plug your actinics on the day timer, set it whenever you want the initial lights to come on. Plug the lunar lights into the night timer. When the actinics go off, the lunars will come on. Lastly, buy a separate timer made for lamps/ lighting (I bought one from Home Depot for $10). Plug the separate timer into the constant "always on" side of the Coralife power strip. Then set that timer (the one for the daylights) to come on an hour or two after the actinics first turn on, and then have them turn off an hour or two before the actinics go off and the lunars come on. This will replicate the dawn/dusk periods.

Excellent idea. Have some Kudos :mrgreen:

What you do is plug your actinics on the day timer, set it whenever you want the initial lights to come on. Plug the lunar lights into the night timer. When the actinics go off, the lunars will come on. Lastly, buy a separate timer made for lamps/ lighting (I bought one from Home Depot for $10).

If you have to go out and buy another timer anyway for the daylights, what is the point of the Coralife then? It would be cheaper to just buy seperate timers for the lunar and the actinics.

It would be cheaper to just buy seperate timers for the lunar and the actinics.

Yes, but for those of us who already have bought into the coralife timer, we now have a solution. :mrgreen:

I bought 2 timers and 2 extension cords (1') with tripple outlets. A short extension cord into each timer lets me regulate both set of lights with dawn/dusk effect. Moon lights are on 24/7.

Good point........ and they're LED's so they won't burn out correct.......

I did the same thing. I have the coralight strip running the 10K and one from HD running the actinic. I just leave the moonlights on full time. An led should last five years or so anyway, so no real need to put it on a timer.

I wanted to ask. How long can you have your lights on in order not to affect your corals and alge problem

adacaro said:
I wanted to ask. How long can you have your lights on in order not to affect your corals and alge problem

Well, that's kind of a loaded question, because you do want your lighting to affect your corals and even algae (coraline), but in a positive way. The duration you have your lights on is going to depend on the type of lights, the type of corals and their placement in the tank. I think the average would be to have lighting for 12-15 hrs, with the actinics coming on an hour before the 10k-20k and then going off an our after as well - to simulate somewhat of a sunrise sunset affect.

Back
Top Bottom