Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emelinda76

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many hours per day should lights be kept on? N from what time ?

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

8-10 hrs is fine for corals.

You have your actninics on for an hour, then light up your whites for 6-8 then back to actinics only for an hour and then moonlight till morning when actinics go back on.

When to start and end is based on your time schedule. I adjust them to start up around 9am or so and they go off at 7pm so my fiancé can enjoy the tank after work. It's up to you when to run them

Ok I was thinking .. From 2-9 so I can enjoy them when I get home from work for about 2hours w/ the family n to b able to feed them ... Is this ok?

So I don't need to have the actiquinic lights on for Long?

Btw- I don't use moonlights..

Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

To clarify ... Actinics are used to simulate dawn/dusk. They are one the entire cycle. You add the whites during the "meat" of the cycle for high light.

Consider moonlights. They create a more natural environment for the inhabitants and they look awesome with the ripples in the water

I would say 1-10. Actinics 1-2, act and wh 2-9, act 9-10

moonlights don't do anything for the inhabitants. they are just for your own enjoyment. consider them if you like to barely see into the tank when they lights are off.
the dawn/dusk simulation is also for your enjoyment, as it does nothing for corals or fish. the actinics and daylights are still turned on immediately on your t-5 fixture, so the fish will be just as startled.

as for a time frame, i would suggest to try and mimic the natural day out at the reefs where your corals are collected.

Thanks mr x

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

Back
Top Bottom