lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK i have been thinking of making my fish only into a reef tank I have a 60g with 2 25 watt bulbs for now can someone tell me what kind or actually where to buy a fixture for my tank also will i need to get a chiller cause the lights are so hot I have about 47 inches long for the fixture i have a canopy on the tank to keep the cats off it thanks also I was looking at compat flourecents would 4 of them be good enough for reef lighting

what kind of coral are you thinking about keeping? this will determine what lights you will need.

4 96W 36" PC bulbs would give you 384W of light over the tank. That should give you enough light for most of your common corals. HIgh light corals could be kept toward the top of the tank and lower light corals could be kept at the bottom and somewhat shaded by the rock or other corals.

I was thinking of getting pc lights from dr foster and smith they are 4 bulbs 65 watts and 47 inches long I cant fit the 36 inch ones cause of the 12 1/2 inches wide it wont fit but the 65 watt 7 1/2 will fit I was wondering if the length would make up any of the wattage diffrence thanks for the replys

IMO, you'd be better off to go with a DIY hood and a retro kit. Have you checked with www.ahsupply.com ? They have PC retros and also offer enclosures in different sizes. Another alternative might be a DIY hood and a T-5 retro kit. You really need to go with 96w bulbs if you use PC's because they are 34" long...perfect for your tank. The T-5's are available in a 3' length as well.

I have a canopy now but i only have 48X8 1/2 to work with the with is making it diffacult to fit i am still lokking so I take itthat 260 watts wont work welll thanks let me know if any one has anymore info

I am looking at the coralife power compact aqualight retrofit it comes with 2 true actinic 03 blue and 10,000 daylight compact fluorescent lamps the bulbs are 65w for a total of 260w will this be good or know thanks

Take a look at a dual metal halide retro. You will probably need some fans but the light should support most anything and a 48 inch length is perfect for 2. Only real issue might be the reflector if you went mogul based, so I would look at HQI(double ended) Just a thought, it may be overkill for what you want or for your wallet. MH are great but they are a bit pricey to start..

Back
Top Bottom