Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saga

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just put two L.E.D. lights over my 72 gal. tank. Total both lights put out 6680 lumens. I don't know how to convert that into watts. Hoping they put out at least six watts per gal. as I would like to keep most types of coral.

I can't give you a useful answer to your question, which I really think is, "do I have enough light to support SPS?" However, I can tell you that lumens (brightness) are more important that watts (energy consumption). Wikipedia indicates that the European Union considers a standard 60W bulb to produce around 806 lumens though (take that with a grain of salt). I think what is most important is the PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) which is a measure of the energy put out by the light a photosynthetic plant or animal can actually use.

What LED's did you buy? The marineland "reef ready" lighting is by the way not sufficient for a reef. LOL Not sure how they can get away with saying it's for a reef as you can only keep basic corals with it.

Alot depends on the actual fixture and watts of the little led's.

What LED's did you buy? The marineland "reef ready" lighting is by the way not sufficient for a reef. LOL Not sure how they can get away with saying it's for a reef as you can only keep basic corals with it.

Alot depends on the actual fixture and watts of the little led's.

Thanks for pointing that out. By the way, I'm surprised at the limited amount of information out there for LED lighting. I've been googling as much as I can about LED systems and I just haven't been able to find a good source for the best, most accurate info on LED's for reef tanks.

Back
Top Bottom