Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend is setting up a larger tank and upgraded to MH's. He asked me a question and I don't know the answer since I have only had PC and VHO from day 1. I know that a lot of MH's usually run with atinics, and his setup has something different than anything I have heard of. He has a 150g like mine except it's 29" high (mines only 18"), anyway, he's got 3 400w blue? (I'm not sure if thats right, but it's what he said) 20,000k and 4, yes 4 110 VHO bulbs, 2 are white atnic and 2 are blue atinic. To me that seems kinda weird to have that many VHO's but, I don't know much about MH's. His question is can he run the halides by themselves during the day and the atnics only in the morning and at night??? He said that the MH's already have the blue spectrum's, but then why the VHO's? I know corals need the blue spectrum, but what I can't answer is if the MH's already have that. I always thought you needed both the atnics and MH's??? Can someone explain this to me?

Yes he can run just the 20K MH during the day and run just the attinics shortly before and after the MH turn off. 20K MH bulbs will give off plenty of the blue spectrum for corals. IMO its not even nesscary to have the VHO'S at all. The MH will produce plenty of light for any corals that he may want.

Hmm, I wonder y they gave him 4 VHO's then. And I wonder y they gave him white atinics. I meant to say 20k, ha ha :oops: . Thanks for the help :D

NP thats why this forum is here to help others! The VHO's cant hurt any but IMO they are not needed. My 125gal has three 250watt MH with 20K bulbs and corals love it in there! HTH

yeah thats a lot of wattage! at 5 watts per gallon thats enough for 328gal!

I personally use 720 watts total for my 75gal... oh well

I bet that tank will be beautifully BRIGHT!

well you cant always go by watts per gal that isnt always that accurate. But yes that will be a very bright tank eye blinding. It will look great im sure though.

Thats what I was thinking. Here's a question. How many watts per gallon when you are using metal halides, let's just say for a 180 24" deep? I know that depth plays a part but I like I say I don't know much about MH's.

I am toying with an eventual upgrade in tank and I want a deep tank but I DON'T want too much light. In your opinion what would be enough MH's to "get by"?

Remember that each MH covers approximately 2 feet, so if the tank is 6 feet long you will want 3 to have good coverage. Depth does play a big role with any lighting. For a 180G tank that is 24" deep, I would recommend either the 250w or the 400w. There isn't a big difference in price, but you will want to consider the heat factor, and a canopy that will support them. 8-9" off the water is recommended. I built my own 15" canopy to support my 2 MH, which still offers intense lighting even at that height with the safety of having them off the water a bit.

Mike

Thanks man, I wondered about that. We are eventually doing an in wall and I want to get a 180, but my husband is pushing 210 either way we will need MH's correct?

either way we will need MH's correct?

If you are planning to do a reef, then yes. If it is a FO or FOWLR, then you can use any lighting you desire. I don't have a reef, but I love the way the MH shimmers over the water movement so I sprung for the MH. If you use the 14K or 20K bulbs, you won't need supplementation unless you want a dusk/dawn effect with actinics. I put some of those LED moonlights on mine as well..the fish and the Anemone love it!
I almost bought the 150 myself, but chose the 120 because of a space issue. Once I get into my new house, I am going to set that one up. I can't wait!!

Mike

Thats exciting! My husband has a 90g in the garage he has been working on and is getting impatient to set up. See we are in the process of buying a house, but it seems that everything is taking forever. We are renting the house right now and we want to do an in wall as soon as we buy, then tile the whole house (I hate carpet) THEN he can set up his (no point in tearing down a tank and setting it back up to tile). Quite a process and it is killing him. He wants to do what he calls a "man" tank lol, hes getting a snowflake eel and lionfish. Like I say, it's killing him.

I can appreciate that. I have about 2 more months before my house is ready. Everyday I have to stare at my new tank, sump, stand, and canopy just sitting there waiting to be used. That is killing me as well. :roll:

Mike

Back
Top Bottom