lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrsfuller2572

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have compact flourescent lights for a 55g. Lights are 65w 10000K. Two acintic and two white..Thus 260w total in CF.
Question: Is there a small compact much stronger light that I could mount at one end of the tank in order to have something beyond shrooms and zoos? A few sps might be nice, even if they're only at one end with 'their' light.
If so, where would I find it?

You can have some LPS's also in that tank. Just look under my "myinfo" button and that will give you an idea on some of the things that you can have under those lights. There are some SPS that you could keep under those lights from what I've heard. Things like montiporas you may be able to keep. However there are some metal halide clip on lights that you might be able to fit but it would be a tight squeeze and I don't know if it'd be the best idea.HTH

I currently have compact flourescent lights for a 55g. Lights are 65w 10000K. Two acintic and two white..Thus 260w total in CF.
You can keep more then just mushrooms and zoos with that light. There are a wide range of LPS corals and softies that should do just fine under that fixture.

Thanks so much! I feel better now. As good as the lfs has been to me, I was told that I could not have an anenome of any kind (probably true?) and that I was restricted to shrooms and zoos as these were not near strong enough for much else.
I will dig deeper and take a look at some lps corals that might be easy to maintain and add some colors. No clams, though right? Flame scallop? Trying for that 'pretty' reef look, you know.

Agree with Hara...forget the flame scallops. Clams are pretty much out of the question, but an anemone like a bulb-tipped may do okay. I kept one under that lighting on my first reef tank (38gal) and still have it to this day in my larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom