lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishsticks7

Aquarium Advice Regular
How often should i turn my light on? Should i leave it on all the time or should i keep it off most of the time? Should i keep it off during the day? On all night?

I would suggest trying to mimic what the fish would experience in the wild. Im sure they would not appreciate just an hour or two of light every day. I would suggest gettig a timer from home depot or any hardware store and placing your lights on a schedule. I have mine running for ten hours. I never have to worry about turning the lights on or off because my timer does it for me. You can set up a lighting schedule that works for you (ie. if you are only home late in the evening, set your timer for say 10am-on to 10pm-off) The time of day that you have your lights on does not matter, its the length of time that you should keep constant. HTH

Agreed! 10-12 hrs per day. Home Depot has a digital timer for about $17 that will do a great job...it's much better than the analog timers IMO.

Back
Top Bottom