Lighting advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaotic_reefer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 65 gallon bow front reef tank, it's been up for a little over a year now but doing good, I'm trying to find a good light source for the soft coral and others I plan to get, I read that I should use "cool color" bulbs, for blues and violets to make the coral pretty, anyway I figured I could get a couple of fixtures cheap and then hang them above my tank, apparently the higher the "k" the cooler the color bulb, so would getting two bulbs that are around 10-15k each be a decent idea for my all day lighting? I've always used very basic lights, never really splurged on one of the high end led's, any advice or ideas/opinions are really appreciated.

My tank also has a plastic brace that runs from the back to the front at the top of my tank, right in the center, so I have a concern about it melting under something hot, I considered a thing aluminum shield over it, but I don't want water splatter to rust the metal and get in my tank, advice on this would be appreciated also, thanks guys.

Go with Chinese led boxes off Amazon or eBay, they let you grow anything and are a good price, plus it won't melt anything

Thanks so much, I'll look at them now, what about regular high k fluorescent bulbs? Like the regular old socket you screw in and out, or possibly the 4 prong fluorescent bulbs?

If you are going to do fluorescents you'd need to use t5 high output bulbs. A 4 bulb fixture would work fine for softies and most lps corals in that size system.
Regular fluorescents aren't gonna do the job for corals.

Gotcha, so I could basically run to Home Depot/lowes and get a four bulb t5 fixture, and I guess what the important thing is are the bulbs, I was thinking one actinic and the other 3 regular, what do you think about that?

Make sure it can take t5ho bulbs as I don't believe the Home Depot ones have the correct ballasts but I'd get a second opinion as I've never gotten a fixture from them.

I see, I had another idea, a basic metal halide fixture that hangs above, and for the center brace made of plastic I could get a thin sheet of aluminum and make some sort of triangular shape to kind of shield it into the water, it's just a theory but do you think that would be alright, I saw the Chinese box lights on Amazon and I think they're ideal, but I would need two and hey are 100 each, if I can save money and just do the work I'd prefer that

Back
Top Bottom