Lighting/Algae Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been searching through numerous articles on the war on algae. I have had a problem with algae for a while now. It seems like I take two steps forward and five back. So I ended up following the advice of the fantasy reef article and I think I have it under control for the most part but I have a question about my lighting. I have a 150w 14k Metal Halide light for a 30gal tank. DO you think that this light is to big for my tank. I have the HOB Viper HQI which also come with a 70 watt bulb. What would your suggestion be for lighting in my tank.

Thanks in advance

I have another quick question. Right now my aquarium does not have a powerhead in it. The only circulation in the tank is being provided by a hang on back filter and a hang on back protein skimmer. Would not having enough flow in the tank create a better opportunity for algae to grow? Thanks for any advice.

I dont think it`s too much. How long are they on during each day? Another problem is when they talk about lighting they are talking about older lighting. The older a bulb goes it`s spectrum will shift causing algea to feed off the different spectrum. If for example my VHO`s are supposed to be changed every 6-9 months and I wait and still have the same bulbs in there after 1 1/2 yrs then the bulbs are too old and have probably had the spectrum shifted. JMO. You keep using that FR formula and you`ll be OK on the nuisance algea.

I ordered a Koralia one and should hopefully get it middle of next week. I definately think that I have a lack of water movement.

Your lighting is fine for that tank, watch your water temp. What kind of corals in your tank? I would definately say you need more flow

Back
Top Bottom