lighting and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yinsee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi. after going thru like hundreds of posts in this forum (been lurking for a week+) i finally sign up and post my noobie questions :roll:

i have a tank setup for 3 mths now. fish and anemone and all things are living happily. but what annoyed me are those green and brown algae growing in the tank... they are not the worst yet (i've seen worst) but the are annoying.

the same old question, how do i get rid of them effectively? i kept a turbo snail, and a blenny. my blenny died after 2 mths! i think its starving coz the poor fellow get thinner and thinner each day...

the tank is not exposed to sun light. so i tried to reduce lights by not turning on the florescent for 1-2 days, will that help ? coz i didn't notice the different. also i worry that my fish will not get enough light :p

i've got lot more questions to ask. heh heh..

I started with sea water, and I do my top-off with filtered tap-water, suppose to be some "pi water" or "cluster water".

however, i saw some debates over the reality of such "water" :p

Main cause of nuisance algae is phosphates.. usually from tap water or over-feeding.

Test your levels and if needed use a phosphate-removal media.

you meant lighting!
oops. :oops:

ok, thanks. i'll try to reduce feeding for start. if still the same then i'll get some phosphate tester. any cheap way to test phosphate?

Back
Top Bottom