lighting examples for mh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashearier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone point me in the right direction for getting a good mh lighting setup going. I just don't know what I want to do. I would like to get 2 175or250 watt mh with some vho or pc. What I don't know is if I should go retrofit and build a canopy or not. I would like to get some of your ideas and go from there. Thanks

well it usually comes down to a question of budget. If you have the cash it's certainly much easier to buy a canopy/hood that fits your tank and holds the amount of light you're looking for. But, if your like most of us, it can save a fair amount of cash to build you're own. LIkely, what came with your 55 won't hold MH and VHO/PC in a retro so you'll likely have to build a DIY hood. They're not real difficult and saves you a fair amount of cash. Check out our DIY Section for a number of threads with examples and information that will probably answer a lot of your questions.

How about one of these;

1) 47" long, 11 1/2" wide, 4" tall. Metal Halide/PC combo 2-150 watt HQI 10,000k or 20,000k german madeUSHIO bulbsUV shield with remote ballast. 2-65 watt power compact actinic bulbs 2-36 watt power compact 10,000k bulbs 2-four inch fans. seperate power cords and switches for the power compact and HQI 2 very bright metal halide bulbs. Feet can be added to this hood to elevate the lights 6 inches off the tank.

2)48" long, 11 1/2" wide, 4 1/2" tall. Metal Halide/VHO combo 2 - 150 watt Double Ended Metal halide bulbs and 2 - 110 VHO bulbs. There is an ice cool 4 inch fan included in the unit to keep the unit extra cool. Feet can be added to this hood to elevate the lights 6 inches off the tank.

This is for a 90 gallon to contain some medium to low light corals. No clams or SPS.

I am not very handy and would like to stay away from building a canopy for a retro if at all possible. Can I get some votes on these two.

Also, what is the difference between the double ended and screw MH bulbs?

I purchased a Cool Touch system on ebay and have been very happy with it. They have every combination you can think of and they are pretty reasonable. I got 2 175m/h with 2 110watt vho. It comes with the vho bulbs. We are about to order a hood that has (3) 400watt m/h and (4) 110watt vho bulbs. I would definately reccomend them.

Squishy

I would like to know if either of the above mentioned setups would be enough for me. Is 150watt bulbs too low end?

Back
Top Bottom