Lighting for a 58 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crash519

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm trying to decide on what lighting to go with on my tank. I've got a 58 gal. (36x18x20) and I'm going to be doing MH with supplimental PC actinics. Should I go with 2-175w or 1-250w MH? One 250w MH would allow me to go up in tank size and I could add another 250w. I don't think the 175's would be of much use if I went to a larger tank in the future. I could be wrong though.

What length / wattage PC actinics should I add to go with 10K MH? Would two 24" work or should I go with the most I can fit in the hood (2-36")?

A MH bulb covers an area about 2'x2'. If you put one on the tank, you'll have areas on each end that are dimmer. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you know that's what you'll have. Some folks use 1 MH on tanks that size and put low light inverts such as mushrooms in the dimmer areas. I don't think 175w bulbs will really give you the penetration you need for a tank that depth...250 at least.
As for the actinics, if you use PC's, I'd go with 96w bulbs...they're about 35" long. One thing you might want to consider is T-5's though. Coral Vue has a T-5/MH retro kit available with 2 T-5 actinic tubes and either one or two MH bulbs in your choice of wattage. It comes with ballasts, bulbs, power cord...pretty much plug and play. All ballasts are electronic as well. Something to consider anyway.

Back
Top Bottom